A Fresh Start

Gunter sighed as he approached the gated entrance to the nondescript brick building that dominated the street. It was once perhaps a warehouse, but was now used as a holding facility for political prisoners. Dangerous political prisoners. That could mean anything. Women, children, homosexual family members belonging to the Nazi party. Any type of embarrassment, like me.

Gunter's father had pulled some strings to secure his post. 'They needed doctors he had explained to, "Take care of the prisoners after questioning." Gunter shivered as he recalled his exact words. That meant torture.

Gunter kept his shoulders back, his whole body projecting confidence. We must live the lie to survive. He mounted the steps and without hesitation opened the door and stepped into the clean, minimally decorated lobby. A few red chairs had been scattered around and a ornate desk dominated the room. A petite blonde woman sat at the desk and she flashed him an assessing smile as he approached her. He noted the blush staining her cheeks and cringed inwardly. He would have to watch her.

"Gunter Stieglitz, reporting for assignment." Gunter kept his voice low and professional.

"Oh hi, I'm Heidi." The blonde gushed. "Let me show you around." She stood from her desk and sashayed across the sparsely decorated entryway and down a wide hallway. There were several small rooms, offices. Then a handful of patient exam rooms. By the time they reached the end of the hallway Heidi had been disappointed as Gunter made sure to mention his wife at every opportunity.

"Your office is here." She opened the doorway at the end of the hall. "The prisoners are kept in the upper cells on the second and third floor. The interrogations occur in the basement. I'd show you, but I'm not allowed down there."  She gave a little shiver. "It's all classified."

Gunter gave his office a brief perusal, noting the battered desk, comfortable leather chair, and file cabinets lining the wall. "Is there a lift?"

Heidi shook her head, her tight blonde chignon nearly coming undone. "Yes but you must use a key. It goes from the top to the basement loading deck. Only the senior officers have them."

"I see." Gunter grunted, ready to be rid of her.

"I'll leave you to it then." She giggled. "The Commander will be along shortly to speak with you and go over your duties."

"You're dismissed, and Heidi..."

She spun back to face him, her face eager. "Yes?"

"My wife will be joining me for lunch, please show her to my office when she arrives."

"Of course sir." She said, her face crestfallen.