Chapter 26

"We're home." Paul smiled at me as we had gotten past the gates of Cavendish and stood face to face with the house-our house, as Paul encouraged me to think of it.

I had to admit the pace Paul and I's relationship was heading at was foreign to me, everything happening so suddenly and passionately. I wasn't sure where exactly this would lead me but I knew one thing for sure, and it was that I loved Paul McCartney.

"What?" He asked catching me staring.

"I love you." I smiled sweetly, watching as his expression softened.

"I love you." He responded leaning down to steal a quick kiss.

The sound of barking caused the two of us to jump.

"Martha!" Paul crouched down with a grin as we walked into his front yard, Martha having been let out of his front door by an older man who I hadn't yet met.

"Finally." The man sighed deeply stepping down the porch steps.

"Thanks Dad." Paul chuckled getting back to his feet.

I felt myself freeze in shock as I stared at the tall lean man I now knew Paul's father to be. 

He had few hairs on his head, and the few he had left were white. He moved with some visible aches, yet he seemed to be young at heart according to the giant vibrant smile that lit up his face.

Paul failed to mention his dad was dog sitting Martha, so I couldn't help but feel shaky and nervous, completely unprepared to meet him.

"Paul." I inhaled sharply.

"Smile." He muttered putting his hand at the small of my back.

"So you're the lovely lady my son won't stop going on about." Paul's father smiled gently holding a hand out for me to shake courteously.

"Dad, Charlie. Charlie, Dad." Paul smiled quite satisfied with himself, proud of his lack of mentioning anything about his father being in town.

"It's so nice to meet you, Mr. McCartney." I blushed from his complement shyly shaking his hand, my nerves becoming shot as I looked up to the doe eyes he'd passed down to his son.

"Mr. McCartney was my father, Jim is just fine love." He spoke with a small laugh just as charmingly as his son, offering a large silly grin.

I perked up letting out a giggle, feeling more comfortable around him knowing he had a sense of humour, unlike my own father.

"Oh, Paulie is home!" The voice of a little of a girl called as she came running out from the house.

She crashed into Paul's legs causing him to stumble back slightly from the impact. He picked her up and spun her around with a laugh sounding out from the two of them.

"Ruthie, this is Charlie." Paul smiled lazily to Ruth who he held in his arms, whispering in her ear as if it were a secret.

"Is she your girlfriend?" Ruth gushed staring at me fondly.

"Do you think she should be?" He asked her with a small grin, looking from me to her with curiousity.

"Yeah." Ruth decided proudly, looking back at Paul after scanning over my appearance up and down.

"Alright then, Charlie this is my step sister Ruth. Ruthie this is my girlfriend Charlie." He said making her giggle in delight.

"It's nice to meet you." I smiled brightly at Ruth who was mirroring my expression right back.