“What?” I take the phone from his hands. On the screen is a girl on a someone else back, reaching for a pair of leather boots. I tap the play button. Cameras zoom in on Shai and me fighting for the pair of boots. The camera flashes away from us onto another fight between two older gentlemen. The site reads that the video has had over three thousand views. I cover my face in my hands.

                “Did you at least get the boots?” Sterling asks me.

                “Mia did. They were for her. Shai pushed Mia to the ground; I got mad.” I shrug my shoulders, sitting up from the floor. Elle is no longer in the living room.

                “Piper, you can’t act like that in public especially over a pair of boots. Remember how you want my dad to like you? Picking fights on Black Friday is not going to help your case.”

                “What a low blow,” I say. Brushing past him, not angry, I make my way into the kitchen. Mom and Dad are nowhere in sight. I grab an orange to peel. Sterling is right behind me. “Can you please go away?”

                Sterling lets out a low moan. “Are you really going to do this again? You run from everything Piper.”

                I whip around; braid slapping my face, “I do not run from everything. You know who runs from everything? You do! Your father stood there insulting me while you stood there barely saying anything. How sad is it that you can’t even stand up to your father?”

                “I am not in the mood for this right now. I just wanted to spend time with my girlfriend today, not my mom.”

                My mouth drops open and I drop the orange peeler into the sink. “What did you say?”

                “I said you are acting like my mother. Believe it or not, I don’t like when you tell me what to do. Sterling don’t drink. Sterling don’t be friends with them. Sterling don’t move because I have to swing in and save your butt because I am a spy but have never told you.”

                Anger burns inside of me, “Oh, it’s me who controls your life? I don’t think so because I think your daddy does!”

                Sterling glares at me from over the counter. We stare at each other, neither of us willing to make the next move. “Have you realized we have fought more than not lately?”

                I set my orange down, “I have.”

                “What are going to do about it?” He sits down at the kitchen table. I follow suit.

                “I have no idea. Sterling, I never wanted us to be like this. It’s just that I have never really been in such a deep relationship before. Maybe I’m scared.”

                “Maybe I am too. I haven’t been in a relationship this long ever. Piper, I love you and I want to be with you.”

                I look up at him, “me too.”

                “How about we spill everything that has been on our minds? It might help take some of the edge off of us. You go first.”

                “Well,” my mouth grows dry, “I just-what your dad said on Thanksgiving hurt me. I was hoping that you, my boyfriend who loves me, would stand up to his dad. You should have told him not to talk to me like that! I would have done the same for you if my dad had been telling me how much he doesn’t like you. It was a blow to me because I thought he liked me. He trusted me with your life. So, why in the hell does he hate me? We shouldn’t let your father stand in the way of us.”

                “I agree. Now my turn. This may hurt at first, but I need to tell you this. Piper, there are times when I wish that you would stand up for yourself. When you heard my dad talking about you, you should have approached him. You are so into pleasing others that you’re afraid someone might not like you. But that’s just minuscule. What I love about you is that you are willing to protect someone over yourself. You could have got hurt on Halloween but you still chose to save me. These little things mean more to me than I can ever tell you. I want you to know that.”

                My eyes glaze over with tears. “I love you Sterling.” I walk over to him, wrapping my arms around his neck. He pulls me onto his lap and we sit there in silence. I rest my head on his shoulder, closing my eyes. Sterling lifts me into his arms, carrying me to the couch in the living room. He lays me down. I lift my head to have him sit down next to me. When he does, I lay my head on Sterling’s lap and fall asleep. Awhile later, I wake up to an empty living room. There’s a note on the side table from my mom and dad. They are accompanying President Lewis to Maryland for the next week. He obviously can’t feed himself while he’s there. Elle is taking me back to school on Tuesday. Yale starts back up on Wednesday. Then three weeks after that, we return back to D.C. for Christmas break. Walking up to the main floor and into the large library, I see Sterling sitting on one of the couches reading a book. The book looks like it has been read several times before. The binding is falling off. Sterling glances over to where I stand. He smiles over at me before returning to the book. I sit down on the couch next to him, snuggling in close. My sleeves cover my hands. Snow falls from the window in the library. This scene is serene. Here in the White House library, I don’t have to worry about anything. The smell of books radiate into the room.

                                For an hour we read our respective books. It is a book about the Victorian era. I am not terribly interested in it, but it’s a light read for now. The library grows darker as we are in there. Once the candle burns down later that night, because we thought it would give the right feel to the scene, we head out into the hallway. Most of the Lewis family left to go home until Christmas. Mia and Dylan were out looking for apartments to rent for a few months. Her husband would be coming to D.C. in a few days once he gets a work schedule for D.C. Sterling and I look at each other. His eyes are tired. Mine probably also look tired too. Waking up at five to go shopping wasn’t the best idea I have had. We walk down to my room. Sterling stops outside of the door. No matter how much I want Sterling to be with me, I’m just not ready for that step in our relationship. Who knows, maybe we won’t ever experience it.

                “I-I’m not ready.”

                “I wasn’t suggesting that by coming down here. I want you to trust me that I would never do that to you. When you’re ready, so am I.”

                “You sound like you’ve done this before,” I joke. I instantly regret it because Sterling’s cheeks turn bright red. I look up at him, “Lily?”

                He nods his head then threads his fingers into his hair. Suddenly I feel sick and want nothing more than to hide under my covers. I knew that he and Lily dated, but it was just weird I guess.

                “It was before I even looked at you.”

                “You don’t need to explain to me. And if you could drop this subject for another time, that would be great too.”

                He kisses me on the cheek, walking away from me. “Good night Pipes.”

                “Night.” I watch him vanish from sight.

                What he confessed to me makes me feel ill. I burrow myself under the covers until I am comfortable enough to go to bed.

                Why did I have to go and open my mouth about any of that?