Chapter 1

They said I wouldn’t have to go. They lied.

        I sit alone at a table at my high school’s senior prom. The prom my parents insisted I attend to make myself fit in. Why does it matter when I will be graduating in two weeks? Everyone will be off to Yale, Harvard, or Princeton. Meanwhile, I will be sitting pretty in the basement of the White House attending a junior college here in D.C.

                My parents are the chefs for Mr. President and his family. I, on the other hand, am a secret spy for the President’s son, Sterling. And top nerd at Gonzaga Prep. That means I am on the prowl for anyone that may want to kidnap that first son or whatever. He is completely oblivious to any of this. I keep my distance from him as to not be so obvious that I am basically stalking him. Stalking him for cash, that is.

Every person from the senior class is out on the dance floor dancing; if that’s what you want to refer to it as.

Grinding and twerking is'nt  what I consider dancing.

Amongst the scene is the one and only Sterling Lewis. He is with the prom queen, Lily Ferra. They move together in perfect harmony, with as much grace as one can have while grinding. Various couples circle around the popular couple. I lift myself out of the chair to keep a better view on Sterling. My friend, only friend, Lucy Chapman, sits next to me pining after Sterling’s wingman, Harvey Wate. Harvey is currently dating Marissa Hale, so Lucy’s chances are looking pretty slim. Lucy reaches to adjust the headband that is wound in her blonde up-do. She then smooth’s down her emerald ball gown that she bought for half of a grand.

Meanwhile, I sit there in a dress I found at the local Macy’s that was on sale for seventy dollars. It’s red, strapless, and plain. Just like myself.

“He’ll never notice me before graduation.”

Lucy’s constant mooning over Harvey brings me back to the present. I see her line of vision that is focused on the happy couple. The song has now switched to a slower song.

Yuck. Couples.

“Considering he has a girlfriend, I am thinking Harvey may never notice any girl,” I tell Lucy without any promise that he will break up with Marissa.

“Wow, feisty aren’t we. It’s high school prom. The only time where we can wear these gowns and dance with all of our friends,” she complains.

“You mean with your friends.”

Lucy gets up and looks at me over her shoulder, watching to see if I will follow her onto the dance floor. I let her walk into the swarm of people slow dancing. She walks up to her best guy friend, Tim, and they start to slow dancing. Just watching it is awkward.

I get up to go to the ladies’ room. On my way there, Sterling comes running towards me.

“Piper! Wait up will ya?”

I stop in my tracks, nearing tripping over my ridiculously tall, silver rhinestone pumps. The only reason I wore them is because I am five foot four. Sterling stops next to me; all six feet of him.

In my pumps I am easily five-seven. “Hey,” I say nervously.

He and I have never shared a conversation longer than a minute. That conversation was over the pasta that I made for dinner one night. We normally silently pass each other throughout the house and the school hallways. I am just there to make his food.

“I was wondering if you wanted to dance with my friends and me. You seemed a little bummed back there.” He rakes his hand through his dirty blonde, spiked hair. His blue eyes meet my brown ones, waiting for my answer.