Chapter 4

The next two weeks goes by in a chaos of homework and tests. Then came the senior finals. Sterling also refused to talk to me after the whole fainting incident. He occasionally nodded to me from across the hallways.

I now sit in the school’s auditorium listening to our principal drone on about graduation on Sunday. All 125 graduating students have their heads forwards listening to the student lineup. She announces that Sterling is our class valedictorian. The whole room erupts into applause. I roll my eyes at the senior class’s approval of Sterling. Sometimes I think he’s more famous than Jennifer Lawrence.

“Hello, Gongza! I can’t say that I’m shocked to be your valedictorian. I have busted my butt of all four years for my GPA. I guarantee you; my speech will not be boring.” Sterling winks at the crowd and every girl around me swoons. The principal even manages a smile.

Of course, Sterling for the win because of his beautiful, stupid smile.

“Can you believe how hot he is?” Lucy swings into the seat next to mine. The teacher in her row is giving her the dirtiest look I’ve ever seen.  It’s worse than the one Harvey gave me that day in the kitchen.

“No, but I can believe how cocky he is.”

“He still hasn’t said a word to you? I thought you guys would have gotten together by now.”

“No way would I ever date Sterling. The press would be all over that. I would like to stay out of the limelight, thank you very much.” I cross my arms, signaling the end of this conversation.

I tug on my hair that is forming into knots. I should get my haircut before graduation…

The principal dismisses everyone after going over the procession line. The whole room grows loud as everyone makes plan for later that night. Lucy and I already agreed we’d eat ice cream and watch cheesy romance movies.

She pushes through the crowd to where I’m standing. “Hey. Can I talk to you?”

“Are you breaking up with me?” I joke.

She gives me a small smile, “listen I know we planned to hang out, but my mom wanted to spend time together. She said she wants as much time with me before I head to UCLA.”

“Oh, okay. I understand. I’ll see you on Sunday at the big graduation!” I tell her with false excitement.

The voices of her other friends say, “Lucy is coming too!”

This isn’t the first time Lucy has ditched me. It’s either her parents, other friends, or her occasional babysitting job. I have come to expect this from her. I always take second place.

I walk out to the track and set my papers down. The parking lot is starting to clear out. I lie down in the middle of the track and close my eyes. The wind cools of my face that is starting to get warm. Hot tears pour down my face. Nobody cares about me. Nobody even likes me. So what am I doing in a town like this where it’s all preppy rich kids? Maybe I’ll move down to Tennessee to be with my Nana and Papa. There’s a community college down the street from them. I could just start over.

No more preppy senator’s kids.

No more private schools.

No more living in the White House.

No more friends that step all over you.

No more Sterling.

The tears come faster. I wipe them off with the edge of my shirt. Sitting up, I see a figure hovering over me.

Sterling.

“I thought you would need these?” He’s holding a package of tissues.

Wordlessly, I reach towards the package. The tears are still flowing, but at least the sobs are under control. For now.