THIRTY-THREE , HALLUCINATING

Start from the beginning

The seven-year-old didn't know what that meant but smiled anyway, excited that she would be in one of her father's books.

"Am I the main character?" She asked.

"You're one of them," he nodded. "You and another boy."

"Is he like me too?"

Valack smiled, running a hand through her long, brown locks that were sprawled out across her pillow. He nodded, peeling back one of the pieces of paper in his hands.

"Are you sure you want me to read this to you?" He asked.

Young-Harper nodded eagerly. "I wanna know who I'm fighting in the second book, daddy!"

Shaking his head in amusement, the father began to read out loud. Harper closed her eyes, listening to what he was saying.

"With a sob in her throat, Judy watched the Surgeon toss Aaron off the catwalk and into the dark water below. Then, the Surgeon's bright eyes fell on her. Judy recoiled, her hand falling on a large rusted wrench," Gabriel read. "Leaning forward, the Surgeon raised a gloved hand, but Judy struck out with the wrench. The large tool cracked against the side of the Surgeon's mask. He stumbled back and Judy struck him again and again."

Harper's eyes has opened and she appeared horrified at her dad's words. All she could think about was Judy striking the man and all of the blood there must have been.

So much blood.

She was trembling under her duvet, desperate for him to stop but too scared to ask.

"Gabriel!" Her mother shrieked from the doorway, "what the bloody hell are you reading to her?"

He stood up from his seat, glaring at the woman. "She wanted me to read it to her."

"She's seven, you're going to traumatise her," Monica Verum seethed, stepping in between her child and her husband. "This is morbid! What are you trying to do?"

Young-Harper was crying silently as she watched her parents fight. Real-Harper was almost as shocked, having no idea how she had forgotten this.

"Empaths are the only thing they can't make," Valack glared. "I need to know why. She saw them. She told me she saw them at school."

"Dread Doctors aren't real," Monica argued. "And you're crazy. The teacher said she fell and hit her head. She didn't see anything, it was a nightmare, Gabriel!"

"She saw them, you stupid bitch!" He suddenly grabbed his wife's arm, squeezing it and making Young-Harper scream for her mother.

"Mummy!"

"Oh my god," Harper whispered, holding her hands up to her mouth. She didn't think she could despise her father anymore than she already did.

"Let me go, Gabriel," Monica's eyes turned purple, making Young-Harper shriek out, grabbing the duvet and lifting it to just below her eyes.

Teenage-Harper's lips parted in amazement, watching as her mother used her Empathic powers to manipulate her father. Valack released the woman who immediately held her bruised wrist and looked over to the little girl on the bed.

"I'll never let anything happen to you, baby," she whispered, scooping Young-Harper into her arms and glaring at her husband with pure hatred.

Harper gasped for air, feeling oxygen fill her lungs painfully as she looked down at Archie stroking his head against her leg. Thankfully, she was back in the McCall household- but her hand was still bleeding.