5

Chapter Five

The night grew darker, and they both settled in for the night. She knew the next day was supposed to be fine for the weather, but anything after that was a toss-up. The weather could change at the drop of a coin here. She pulled the blanket down off the top of the bed, and she snuggled into the cozy bed that always seemed to wrap itself around her as she laid in the bed. She had left the sliding glass door open to get some air in the house. Mitsuhide was settled into the living area on the couch, and for a moment she was concerned for him. The couch was not made for someone of his size to sleep on it, but he insisted, and she knew better than to pick a fight with him. She had to smile to herself right before sleep took over, he was the one she never wanted to get into a verbal sparring match with. He always had the ability to get under her skin and stay there.

Mitsuhide woke up with a start, and for a moment he couldn't place where he was. Though as he swung his legs over the side of the couch to the floor, he remembered. He didn't normally wake up unless there was a noise in his cramped apartment so he couldn't figure out what had woke him up. Then he heard the muffled cry again, and he shot up and walked to the door that he knew was her bedroom. He knocked first, but when no answer and another cry happened, he pushed the door open and saw she was trapped in a dream. His heart nearly broke as she was fighting in her sleep or at least trying to. The soft whimpers she let go off were enough to rip out any persons heart. He walked over and sat down on the edge of the bed. He tried soothing her by stroking his hand down her hair and ghosting it over the side of her face. When he placed his hand on her shoulders, her eyes popped open, and he could see the fear in them.

"What?", she said as bolted upright.

"Mouse breathe.", he said calmly. His deep voice pooled in her deep. She looked at him.

"What?", she said as she was still struggling to breathe properly.

"You were having a bad dream.", he said. "You cried out."

"Oh. I'm sorry.", she said as even in the darkness he could see the coloring of her cheeks.

"Wanna talk about it?", he prodded.

"Recurring memory.", she said.

"This happens often?", he asked.

"Every night.", she said.

"You have this dream every night?", he asked again.

"Yes.", she said as she finally got her breathing to a point she could control it.

"Sweetheart you should see someone about it.", he said softly.

"I do, I have.", she replied. "It's fine Akechi. I'm good."

"No, my dear, you are not good.", he said.

"Seriously I am fine.", she said.

"Mouse what were you dreaming about?", he asked. "You were fighting."

"Akechi, I am fine.", she said. He realized something happened at a place he didn't know about in her life. Something she didn't want to remember, but at the same time, she was reliving it over and over every night.

"Fine. However, my dear, if you want to talk about it, I will listen.", he said. He knew that leaving it open-ended like that he might be able to get her to speak. Otherwise, she would be like a calm and shut her shell and never let anything out.

"Thank you. I'm fine go back to sleep.", she said.

He was torn he wanted to watch over her, but at the same time, he didn't want to scare her. He got up slowly and went to the door, and he turned back as she was looking at the pillow on the bed and he turned and shut the door again. He settled into the couch and let the memories he had of her take over. He wanted to know why she was reliving this dream over and over. She said it was a memory. He thought back to everything her brother had said about her at one or every one of the get-togethers they had. There was a four year time period Mitsuhide didn't know where she was, all her brother had ever said was she was overseas. This must be when whatever bothered her now had happened. It was the only thing he could think of. He was tempted to pull her jacket and read it. It would give him the answers he wanted, but it would also negate any trust between the two. He could do that without her knowing and just file in information away, but he wanted more than that, he wanted her to trust him enough to tell him the reason. He would find a way to earn that trust. He had too.