Chapter 4 ~ Charleston

Beautiful fields that stretched for miles into the distance where the treeline met the horizon - that's what I saw on our trip to Charleston. 

The Martin family had only lived a few miles outside of Charleston, South Carolina so it wasn't as long trip as I had expected. I was seated in the carriage with Margaret, Abigail, and Susan on my lap. Benjamin was on the perch with William and Samuel alongside him, Nathan having taken Thomas's horse with him while Gabriel rode alone.

The sounds of clanking and banging were distant as we rode past the shipyards, men high up on the sails. 

"Ever seen such a beautiful town?" Abigail asked as we reached what looked more like a residential area.

"No. It is breathtaking." I partially lied in a way. Charleston in the 1770s wasn't exactly the most beautiful town I'd ever seen. But the fields and country around it were probably one of the most beautiful places I'd been. So that tied into my excuse.

Before I knew it the carriage came to a halt in front of a large two-story apartment. Benjamin got out to help Sam and Will off before getting the girls.

"Here we go." I smiled to Susan as she clung to me with her legs wrapped around my side.

Benjamin took Samuel and William's hands gently as Margaret and myself went up the flight of stairs to get to Aunt Charlotte's door. Apparently she was the Martin children's aunt from their mother's side as Abigail had informed me.

After we all climbed the stairs, Benjamin knocked lightly on the door and waited while Abigail and the boys shuffled about.

There I was then, met by a very beautiful blonde woman who came from inside.

That was Aunt Charlotte?

She did look maybe in her 30s but never the less stunning. Her hair was pulled back in a braid and she wore a flower patterned white dress. Upon seeing her I felt Susan cling tighter to me as she rested her head on my shoulder.

"Aunt Charlotte! Aunt Charlotte!" The younger ones yelled as they ran into her arms and smothered her in kisses and hugs.

"Welcome! Welcome!" Charlotte giggled as the kids continued to hug her like a mother they hadn't seen in years. Her soft green eyes looked up to Benjamin and smiled as she patted their backs. "They're huge. What have you been feeding them?"

Benjamin and Charlotte shared a smile, one I hadn't seen in him ever I believe. "They're from good stock." Ben took a few steps closer and I looked to Abigail who smiled at the two. "On their mother's side, of course." 

Charlotte nodded as she locked eyes with Benjamin for a moment. The attraction was obvious and Gabriel smirked from behind me.

"Thank you." Her attention was averted to the swarm of children at her legs. "Come, come, inside. Wait until you see what I have." I watched them all and adjusted Susan on my hip as Charlotte ushered the kids towards the large white door, grabbing hold of the gold doorknob and opening it effortlessly.

"Presents?!" They all squealed in unison. Charlotte nodded as they began jumping a little in their place.

"Inside, Inside." She whispered softly and giggled. They all ran along; Margaret holding her faded yellow dress so she wouldn't trip and Charlotte looking towards Susan as Gabriel and Thomas ran inside as well. "You, too, Susan." Aunt Charlotte walked closer with a doll in hand, her voice calmer now, lower too.

"There's something for you too..." I smiled a little as Susan absently took the doll offered to her, snuggling it in her arms protectively. "It was your mother's." Charlotte's voice had a hint of sadness as she stroked the soft blonde hair on Susan's head.