Chapter 19 ~ An Attempt to Move On

"I have a feeling that she may have known too much, Colonel Tavington." Captain Bordon stated while walking with Tavington through the garden at the back of the main house where Cornwallis had them bunkered down for many months now. In that time Tavington had been so dysfunctional, since Hope had left yesternight with what seemed to be a ghost rider. He just was unable to comprehend everything and he had started to blame himself for her leaving.

"Are you suggesting we kill her then if we find her, Captain?" Tavington replied rather harshly, letting his leather gloved fingers glide along the soft leaves of the bushes leading towards the center of the garden.

"Well, my opinion should never come into this, Colonel. But I just feel she is a bad influence. You can see what she has done to you." He implied while following close behind.

"Your opinion has been spoken, and I feel you have no right to say such for you did not know her as I had the chance to."

Captain Bordon scoffed as they entered the circular center of the garden. William felt a pain in his chest seeing the bench he and Hope had shared their first kiss on only months ago, letting out a soft breath. 

"You say that, but Colonel, did you even truly know her? Did you even truly have feelings for a girl who you kept prisoner?"  Tavington did not reply, which seemed to encourage Bordon to continue. "She ran away, left the fort. She really could not have felt anything for you and therefore you must allow her to be gone. She is nothing but an American whore, none better than those you sleep with every night. She is only getting in the way of our true goal."

     Instantly William had Bordon by the collar at his throat, glaring daggers. "You shall not dare call her a whore, Captain." Tavington's growl was low as his eyes bore into the man's.

     There was confusion in Captain Bordon's eyes as Tavington held his gaze. "You have yet to bed her." He whispered and William felt his grip loosen on Bordon's collar. "You really have kept yourself sane with her..." Captain Bordon seemed bewildered at the fact that he had not treated her like any other woman he had ever been with... besides that time he raised his hand to her...

     "You should attend to some other business, Captain." Tavington retorted, glancing over to him with a small groan. He could only nod then turn to leave, leavingTavington alone in the garden as the sun hung high above in the sky.

     Why was Hope Forrester such a worry now? He never had these kinds of emotions, and he felt as if her memory was beginning to break down the barriers he had put around himself all those years ago...

     He had feelings... and they were for this odd American girl, Hope... If he found her, he would make it up to her... that is if he could contain the dark man inside.