Chapter 14 ~ The Ball - Part 2

The man at the door nodded to me before looking to the man at the other side of the door. He had me stay off to the side for a moment as they opened the two large doors that would lead out to the West Garden. I heard the laughter and music slowly dwindle down to a hushed silence as a staff was beat against the stone path. I could see they did this for every guest.

"Ladies and gentlemen, Miss Forrester." A deep male voice spoke. I could feel my fingers aching as I became more nervous but with a mental self-push I made my way to the open door that would lead to the occasion, the ball.

Many women were dressed in divine white and cream colored dresses and some wearing high powdered wigs. I was the only one in a red dress and by the looks I would be a sore thumb. No doubt.

I wanted to run, run back inside and hide until Tavington or Wilkins would drag me out... no. I wouldn't though. I was going to do this, be a socialite tonight. I'd make an impression, set a name for myself here in a world where I was unknown, and besides I had to find and help Sarah as well.

Slowly I made my way down the steps, holding my dress lightly so I didn't trip as I walked. The music began to play again and many went back to dancing and chatting, whilst some watched me curiously. I paid little attention as I looked around the crowd for Sarah, walking with my hands together at my waist.

I heard an older woman whisper from a group I passed by. "I have never seen her before."

"I wonder, that has to be make-up on her skin no? No one I know has that skin color." Another in the group spoke. I smiled softly as I continued on, realizing they were slowly following behind me.

A somewhat younger woman spoke up and caught the attention of my senses some. "I do not believe anyone would want to be such a skin color." I stopped at this and turned, looking at the group of five beautifully dressed women, two older ones and 3 younger ones that seemed to be a little older than I, maybe in their late 20s or early 30s. Their eyes widened at the sight of me turning to acknowledge them.

"May I help you?" I asked, turning to face the group with a questioning look. They all stood before me, dumbfounded for a moment before one of the older women spoke up.

"You are Miss Forrester, correct?" 

I nodded slowly as the woman shooed off the other girls, taking me by the arm and leading me away down the path where there were glasses of refreshments.

"Pleasure to meet you darling, I'm Lady Winchester, Sir Winchester's wife." She spoke proudly, taking one of the glasses with clear gold tinted liquid.

"Pleasure to make your acquaintance." I replied, hesitating to take a glass for I wasn't so sure that I'd like whatever they had to offer.

"I haven't seen you before child, why is this so? Charles tends to only invite those whom he knows personally." Lady Winchester remarked, eyeing me curiously. I could feel others eyes watching me and I felt nervous again.

"I'm a friend. Nothing more. I'm here with-" I stopped mid-sentence. How could I say I was Tavington's prisoner to a high status woman of society? Was I really a prisoner though or just another body here at the fort? Panicked, I finished. "... Colonel Tavington." 

Lady Winchester's eyes went up at this, her cheeks slightly blushing at this. I smiled awkwardly before turning to leave when she grabbed me by the arm once more. "A guest of the Colonel? Oh pray tell me about this dear. Walk and talk as we go look for him." 

Her whole aura had changed drastically and I'd decided this woman – most likely in her late 30s-early 40s – had a thing for Colonel Tavington. At this I felt a pang of jealousy.