Chapter 8 ~The Fort of Middleton Place

I couldn't run. I couldn't jump off and walk away from everything that had just happened. But what was the worst out of all of this was that I couldn't go home and pretend it was a dream. Even if I did go back, there would always be a part of me that would stay in the 1770s.

But the most important thing now was to get away from the Dragoons and out of the hands of the colonel who sat behind me as we rode up a path to large gates built around a large building - their fort here I assumed.

As we went through the gates , I only saw a few redcoats walking around what I realized was one of many forts on a large plantation. There were large holding areas next to the entrance that looked like small holding cells. At seeing this a shiver shot down my spine.

"Ah, nice to see you have returned Colonel Tavington." A man started as he walked towards the horse I was mounted upon with the colonel.... Colonel Tavington... the name sounded so familiar as my fuzzy mind continued to piece everything together since i'd been thrown into this time.

Tavington shifted me not so gently before getting off and taking off his gloves. "Thank you Bordon."

"And who is this you?" The man who he called Bordon rose an eyebrow in curiosity and I could only look away uncomfortably.

"None of your concern captain. She is a prisoner." Colonel Tavington, which I presumed was his name from what Captain Bordon had just said, stated with the utmost pride and confidence that it sent another round of awkward butterflies through me.

Before I knew it two men were hauling me down from the horse and I cried out in pain, falling to the soil at my feet. My hands had been bound for some time now against the tightly tied rope around my wrists and it was as if someone had taken a blade and had begun to slice at my skin slowly - layer by layer.

I didn't see the Colonel though as many men crowded around me and started pulling at me.

"Oh look here, we got a present from the colonel himself!"

The men laughed and I was tugged around, my dress being tugged at as I heard "I have the American whore first!" I could only manage to scream out as the tugging and pulling of my dress managed to slip it off shoulders yet nothing was openly exposed while I tried to keep my arms close to my chest.

Suddenly a gun shot went off and they all bolted back. "Get the hell out of here you damn bastards before I have all your heads!" Tavington shouted. "Damn savages." He muttered as the men dispersed quickly, giving concerned or even hungry looks towards me.

Tavington looked down at me as I looked up to him with pure and utter terror while two different men came and handled me like rag doll, pulling me roughly to my feet. "What of the prisoner?" Bordon's voice caused my head to slowly move to the side to look at him over Tavington's broad shoulders.

"Hand her over, I'll deal with the her." Tavington gave a mischievous grin towards me and I instantly, on instinct, fought against the two men holding me. Kicking and screaming I did to cause a scene. Causing a scene, however, failed because I was shut up by the sound of bare leather-on-skin contact sounding around us. My cheek felt numb and my head instantly hung down as I gasped for the air that was knocked out of me. Both men held my body up as I let my legs give out.

"Stupid girl." My eyes were closed but I did believe that it was the colonel took me from the men and who me over his shoulder like a sack of flower after the incident, walking inside somewhere with me on his shoulder to what I believed was the foyer of the large building or home of sorts.

I began to squirm, scream and kick again and again. Fiercely at that. I managed to kick the man hard enough to where he stumbled with me. But my fight was quickly ended when my eyes opened at the sound of a door in front of us being unlocked and myself being thrown into the room onto the hardwood floor. The wooden floor boards squeaked upon impact and I couldn't look away from the sight before me once I recovered from being tossed into the room.

Before me was Colonel Tavington in his Dragoons Uniform, standing at almost six feet tall at least. The look on his face was dangerous. He watched me as I scooted back to chest at the foot of the bed. Cursing mentally, I realized I had just backed into it with no escape.

"Well... it seems as if we have a fierce one on our hands." Tavington's dark grin caused me to look away from his icy blue eyes.

"Where am I?" I coughed out as air rushed in and out of my lungs from my gasping.

"Not of your concern for now. Maybe if you behave and do not create such a scandalous scene as the one we just experienced, you may keep your pathetic life... but that is not a granted promise." With that, Tavington turned on his heel and left the room, closing the heavy oak door behind him and locking it. I was now left with just myself and my thoughts in this place I had been taken to. My thoughts now only consisted of the safety of the Martin Family, what was to become of my life, and what was to happen if Tavington did indeed return...