Chapter 14: More than a hug

Another drawing of them >u< This is just the sketch, but if you'd like to see the colored version you can look it up in my new book "Sketchy Sketches". The chapter is titled "Jason and Reese (steps), since I've posted pictures of my progress as well :3 

---------------------

"Maybe it's the fresh air" she mumbled as she tried to find an explanation for the sudden decrease of black-outs. 

Jason tilted his head at her almost inaudible statement and brushed his hand over his chest. It felt much better having the lead removed from his body, and he was astounded at how little pain her treatment caused. "Ah! I mean... I'll leave so you can dress yourself" she stated as she noticed the curious look in the killers eyes. It seemed as if she momentarily vanished into the depths of her thoughts once more before leaving the room. 

She sat down on top of the stairs, her brows furrowed together as she counted the times of her passing out "Once before painting, once near the shed... makes two times on the first day. Yesterday... two times". Her eyes were filled with concern, of course she was somewhat happy that she was struck with cataplexy only four times during the previous days. However the amount of time she spent unconscious was what really scared her.  

There was a remarkable amount of cases when people who suffered from narcolepsy begun to spend more and more time in that damn helpless state until they just failed to wake up again. 

She was used to passing out up to seven times a day, her naps lasting between mere seconds and no more than two hours. Just the thought of her involuntary sleep becoming longer and longer until turning into a coma sent shivers down her spine. 

She tried to think of something positive, that it was just the nature and fresh air of the wild that mitigated her condition, for factors such a smog and other stuff tended to have an effect on her disease as well. "Think of something else" she mumbled, trying to reassure herself that she was overthinking, and convince her mind that the previous days took a toll on her. 

She brushed her hand over her knee, remembering the wound she had herself, but somehow managed to ignore. She cringed when she brushed over it once more, failing to feel the strong pain she felt the day before. Was it infected because she failed to change the bandages? Now she definitely lacked the courage to look, for if the cut truly reached the bone like she suspected and was now infected on top of that, she'd be doomed. 

She heard the door handle being pushed down watched Jason walk out of the room, his clothes soaked with water. "Have I forgotten to leave you a towel?" asked the blonde, forcing a smile on her lips to push aside the blatant concern. 

The patched up man, however, wasn't a fool, and she wasn't that good of a liar. He knew that something was the matter, for even in the bathroom she seemed so very absent. His piercing gaze caused her to avert her eyes, observing her own hands as he closed the distance and sat down beside her. 

There was nothing but silence as she continued to stubbornly watch her hands, not wanting to pester him with her worries. He eventually let out a sigh as he turned her face by grabbing her chin. "It's ...nothing" she said meekly, trying to look away once more but being kept in place by Jason. 

Was she upset? Was it that she didn't like remembering her past just like he didn't like recalling his drowning? His gaze followed the droplets of water that escaped his sleeves, now traveling down her neck. He found a liking in her skin, it felt and looked smooth and the freckles covering it enticed him. As the droplets continued their journey downwards until seeping into the collar of her blouse he wondered whether or not her whole body was covered in those brown sparkles. 

"It's my knee" she admitted, leaving out her concerns about her condition. Almost in an instant she felt his hand underneath her thigh, pulling her leg onto his lap and rolling up her pants to reveal the bandages. "it doesn't hurt" said Reese as he gently applied pressure to her knee "I think something is wrong". 

The drenched man sighed in relief. For a moment he did fear that she was in pain. As he begun to remove the bandages he noticed the girl flinch and close her eyes, her skittish behavior strengthening his wish to never let her out of sight again. There were so many things he wanted to know about her, and so many more things he wanted to show her. But more than that he was joyous that she kept him company.

He tried to assign an description to the feeling he had when she took care of him, or even if she simply stayed by his side. But unfortunately he couldn't put it into words. 

Jason removed the bandages, revealing the tender skin and the bright meat beneath it, contrasting the pure white of her bone. And yet the cut looked better than the day before. He removed the dried green paste from her wound, or at least what remained of the herbal medicine. It has done it's deeds, numbing her knee and therefore negating the pain. 

The petite woman had her eyes still shut as she feared to see an infected wound. However, when she heard a low rumble coming from the man, she slowly opened her green orbs to look at her clean and "healthy" cut. "H-how is it not hurting?" she asked as she looked into his calm eyes. 

He wrote "nettles" into the the dust atop of the wooden floor. His mother taught him about the effect of nettles when he was younger and got pushed around by the other kids. He used to often come back home with bloodied and scraped knees. The plant only only stung in the beginning, numbing the body part it was applied to if kept for long enough. 

Reese looked up at him, relived of one thing troubling her mind, yet the other eating away at her calmness, chewing it up slowly like a caterpillar would a juicy leaf. "thank you" she said, instinctively grabbing his hand and applying a quick peck onto his knuckles, only afterwards  realizing what she had done.

Her father was from France and taught her the tradition of kissing the hand, a gesture of gratitude towards someone you're close to. It has been a while since the last time she thanked someone in such a manner, but she felt so much so at ease with him that he almost felt like family, triggering her habit. 

"I-I-I I'm sorry!" she stuttered as Jason seemed to be frozen in his position, his eyes wide and puzzled. She felt heat rising up to her cheeks, embarrassment crawling into her chest as hundreds of possibilities of how he would react went through her mind. 

It was as if she bewitched him. He could still feel her soft lips against his skin. He was happy about her action, even if he didn't knew why. He just did. It felt genuine and pure to him, and what the tiny woman thought was him preparing to rage again, was him contemplating how to repay her mellow display of affection. 

He reached his hands out, cupping her cheeks and leaning forward until their foreheads touched.