Act 1: A Classroom.

Start from the beginning

Ashton sunk down in his seat, a feeling of dejection washing over him. Michael rubbed his back and gave his shoulder a squeeze as he knew how much Ashton had looked up to that role. Ashton sunk back into his chair and let out a sigh.

"Okay, now we have that settled. Next is our Juliet," Mrs. Hardedge continued.

"Now I know that this was initially a joke, don't think I haven't seen it before, but usually it's three or four rowdy boys doing it. But this-this was quite the prank." She said and most of the class looked ready to burst at any second.

Michael looked at Ashton with one eyebrow raised in confusion and Ashton just shrugged at him.

"Though you think that you've fooled your batty little teacher, I tell you that you are not correct my dears! This has only just created a spark to my flame. I have already begun to plan out this years most spectacular play yet." The woman spoke with triumph and came up to tap on a kid's desk, sending the boy into a fit of laughter.

"And so, without further ado,"-she bowed slightly, rolling her hand out- "I present to you our Juliet. Mr. Ashton Irwin."

"What?!" Said Luke and Ashton simultaneously

The whole class erupted into giggles and loud hoops and bellows of screeching laughter. The only four not laughing were Ashton-going red as a tomato-, Michael, Luke-who could only sit their with his mouth open from screaming-, and Mrs. Hardedge who stood smirking up front.

The teacher beckoned Ashton up to her and Luke with eagerness. It took Michael shoving him out of the seat almost, but he finally stood up there beside Luke. He noticed how Luke stepped away from him and felt even more embarrassed, hanging his head low. Ashton felt like crying because this was not happening. Not to him. Not to Luke. Not in this class during this year. Just not right now please. Or preferably ever.

He didn't want this when he had signed up for this class. All he wanted was to make more friends then his mum and ten-year-old brother-Lauren was going through the phase where she basically hated anyone other than her three best friends. Sure, him and Michael had become on good terms with each, even swapped phone numbers, but that still wasn't what he wanted. But he also didn't want to be starring in a romantic play with another boy. Nor he did want that other boy to be Luke Hemmings. Well known for being very homophobic.

After all the hollering had subsided to nothing more than low chuckles, Mrs. Hardedge cleared her throat before speaking, "Now that that's over I'll explain."

"Please fucking do," Luke breathed out.

"Traditionally, Romeo and Juliet is a heterosexual play. Cause it was based back in the ancient days. But since it's nearly twenty-fifteen and things are changing, why not change this play? Modernize it a bit. We'll keep the forbidden lovers thing going on but instead of it being because they're from two different houses, it will be because they're two males. It'll be a great way to promote acceptance and tolerance and also show a more today point of view. We can call it: Romeo and Juliet: Modified." She finished.

Some students actually looked very intrigued with the idea. Very pleased with how this was going to turn out. Except for Luke who let out a frustrated huff and rolled his eyes.

"Sounds great, Mrs. Hard-On!" Calum shouted from the back, sending the class into laughter once more.

Mrs. Hardedge glared at him, threatening to give him and the rest of the class detention if she hears that one more time. Then all the laughs came to an abrupt stop and everyone straightened up again.

"But, Miss, that's not the point of this play. You'll completely ruining this lovely classic by taking such a heinous twist to it." Luke said.

"I think that's the most proper thing to ever leave your mouth, Mr. Hemmings." She said with a smile.

"Tons of people don't even support gays!" He yelled exasperatedly.

"Raise your hand if you don't support homosexuals so I can change your classes." She said, turning to the class. No ones hands rose.

"Your point?" Mrs. Hardedge asked the fed up boy.

"What if I don't want to do it." Luke shot back.

"Then you'll lose eighty percent of your grade and fail this class." And his jaw dropped.

"But..." Luke trailed off.

"But nothing! What's done is done and you can thank your classmates for that." She said and that was the end of it. Luke looked at all the students who were giving him identical fake smiles. He flicked them off and groaned.

"Now, Ashton, Luke, you two will be spending lots of time together so I suggest you both get comfortable with the roles you've been given now or keep silent because, honestly, I don't care." Mrs. Hardedge informed but sent a quick apologetic look to Ashton since she knew he was a great student who didn't deserve this humiliation. He sent back a small smile, finally looking up at her.

"Practice starts Friday and will be on Monday's, Wednesday's, Friday's, and the occasional Saturday. But it will be required that you both study independently outside school. I'll get your hours sheets Friday for your parents to sign."

"But-" Luke began.

"Hush! And, also, please try for this. If I don't see effort- Luke- you won't see a good final score. You have a good five to six months to practice for this so there is no reason I shouldn't see an amazing performance because after I get done with you two, you'll swear you're actually Romeo and Juliet." She finished with a determined look in her eyes.

"Except I could never love a guy." Luke whispered.

"Well you better figure out how to because there's no getting out of it." Mrs. Hardedge quipped.

And then the bell rang and Ashton was never more happy in his life.

***

Hey guys! So remember when I said I was going to write a new story? Here it is! I know it's not the one I said I was going to write but I liked this idea and one day I just wrote this chapter and boom! New story. I might write the other, I might not. Just depends really.

This one is not going to be nearly as deep and emotional as The Turn Around. But it will have some pretty heavy subjects in it. Like homosexuality, bulling, etc. But there is NO self-harm, suicide, violence, or anything like that. I won't say it's not triggering, but it definitely is not too dark or anything.

I hope you really like this and if you have just read this please go check out my other story The Turn Around(Lashton/Muke)! Aha, I shamelessly self promote.

Thank you for reading. Have a lovely day and I love you. Stay Beautiful! Xxx