My fingers locate the box and I bring it out to give it to him but stop as my eyes scan the office. It has been renovated, every proof of my former existence erased, wiped off.

The wood that used to separate my corner from Mrs Nse is nowhere to be found. Her desk has been replaced with a bigger one, the walls repainted and new blinds attached to the windows. The thought of him doing this for her fills me with rage and I close the distance between us in one step.

"Is this why I was transferred to Pavilion?" my hand sweeps across the room, "I was transferred not because I deserve it but for you two to have all the privacy in the world to continue your affair. Uncle, why?"

Mr King Daniels was right the first time he said I didn't deserve it, at least not at that point in my career. I should never have gotten promoted. To think I called it a jealous man talk makes me angrier and Mr Adams silence has me tugging on a strand of my twists to keep myself in check.

"You deserve the promotion; you know you do. Your work speaks for itself," he defends.

A proud smile flits to my lips but it has little to do with his words. My work speaks for itself because of the efforts I put into it. For whatever reason he sent me to Pavilion in the first place, I don't care anymore, I am there to stay. I have proved my worth.

An empty can of Pure Heaven, the non-alcoholic wine rolls to the floor and my eyes narrow at the leftover cake on the table, at the other cans of wine and soft drinks I didn't notice up until now.

"So now you like parties?" I ask without expecting a response and place my gift on the table. "I'm disappointed in you, Uncle."

Then I walk out without another glance at them. They can continue kissing each other for all I care, now, they have privacy.

*   *   *

A knock sounds on my door, I raise my head from the phone in my hand. I can't bring myself to hit the call button, I don't want to apologise to Mr Adams. He doesn't deserve a word of apology from me, he should be the one apologising. He should dump her.

In anger, I had called Mmá to tell her what I witnessed. She was ecstatic. When I asked if she didn't feel lonely and went on to tell her about my recent fantasy involving two of them, she had laughed so hard I joined her.

They have known each other for too long, they can't be more than friends, he's like a brother to her. She does feel lonely sometimes but it's not Mr Adams she wants. So now I have to fulfil my promise to call and apologise but I don't want to. She even told me to tell him how happy I am for him.

It has been a week now since his birthday and I can't bring myself to dial his number. I will be lying if I say I am happy for him, I don't want to do that. What will I call Nse?

I have always referred to Mr Adams as Uncle even though we are not biologically related but I can't call Mrs Nse aunty. No, I shake my head, she can't be my aunty, I won't call her that. Never. Not in this life.

The knock sounds again. "Come in."

Chi walks in, holding a food flask and a box with a mischievous smile on her lips.

"I'm not hungry," I say at the same time my stomach growls loudly. She tries to stifle her laughter but only ends up giggling.

Pointing at the space I create on my table, I say, "Fine, I'm hungry. Drop it there." Then I cross my arms under my breasts and pout. "Thank you for the food, I know you want something but you can't have it. Bye now."

Chi's face drops at the last statement then she lets out a peal of laughter. I know her well enough; she won't do something this nice for me without expecting a reward. She claims I barely leave my office and she will not indulge me by bringing up my lunch.