|| 8.

Lines appear on my forehead as I stare hard at my phone, trying to pass this level on Candy Crush which seems impossible. I groan as I lose again for the umpteenth time since I started this level, it's hard. My eyes fly to the time on my wristwatch, a smile graces my lip and I stand, time for a break.

The kitchen guy number rings without any disturbances, I dial it again and groan when I get the same response. Making my way out of the office, a frown mars my feature at the thought of eating alone today. My food partner, Chi no longer eats lunch with me so I have resorted to eating in my office.

Most of her lunch breaks are spent outside, with someone, possibly a new love interest who she is uneager to tell me about.

The elevator doors slide open and Chi is the first person I see. She hasn't seen me yet, not with the amount of attention she's paying to her phone. Her shift dress is bigger than it should be but she is rocking it and her wig has given way for cornrows.

She starts walking to the doors before I can get to her and I stop her in her tracks with my question. "Where are you going?"

Her head whips in my direction, the ends of her cornrows lashing at her face. She frowns and puts them in a knot at the nape of her neck. When she finally meets my gaze, there's no trace of that initial frown.

"To see someone." She smiles. "Hi."

That someone again. I stifle the urge to roll my eyes and hiss. "Someone has no name?" I ask and place a hand on my waist. "Who gave you permission to leave?"

Chi's tone matches mine. "It's my break time, I will be back before it's over."

We stare at each other and I sigh in defeat, she doesn't need permission to leave for a break so long she returns within the one-hour period. I miss her, I miss our small talks and gossip while we lunched.

"Why don't you bring the person here? At least your meals will be covered," I suggest.

Chi's face takes on a thoughtful look, she taps on her chin with her index finger and proceeds to shake her head. I nod, so much theatrics for nothing. Ignoring her farewell greetings, I stomp to the restaurant.

The place is empty so I make my order, sit at the farthest corner from the entrance. I stab the fried yam with slight disinterest and chew slowly, angry to admit that my appetite walked out the doors with Chi.

Heaving a sigh of frustration, I head to the counter with my barely eaten plate of fries, apologise and request for a takeout to be sent to my office. The server's face pulls into a frown so I rephrase my request, waiting instead to take the meal up myself.

From the corner of my eyes, I see a couple walk in hand in hand and a sad smile flits to my lips. I take a swig from my bottled water and shake my head, trying not to think of memories from a time before.

I don't pay them much mind until the lady walks up to make her order, she taps me on the shoulder and I turn. Our eyes meet and a surprised laugh escapes my lips.

"You're back," I state, happier than I should be. Chi notices it too and her smile grows.

"Yes. I decided to take your suggestion," Chi says with a grin. "I brought him here."

Him? My eyes widen and my voice lowers to a whisper, "Is he your boyfriend?"

The expression of disgust on her face has me cackling, she's allowed to bring her boyfriend here for lunch and I make to tell her that but she leaves before I get a chance to. When my eyes land on her companion, my grip on my bottled water tightens and I start a mental check of my appearance.