|| 6.

Work has been going fine, sometimes boring like now. Being the manager of a new hotel leaves me with so much free time I don't know what to do with except think, overthink and analyse past scenarios.

The ball pen on my desk rolls to a stop and I smack the end for it to resume rolling.

I miss Paul; the brown eye devil I can't seem to get out of my mind. The hotel meals are free and delicious so I don't have any excuse to leave it for Paul's workplace.

Chi and I are also beginning to get along, lunch is our bonding time then I drop her off at her place whenever I can, which is most times. She is chill, the snobby attitude she gave me on my first day is just a front.

The door to my office flies open, without looking up, I say, "I didn't ask you to enter, have you no man-" the rest of the words die in my mouth as my gaze lands on the person standing in the middle of my office like the chief labourer at a construction site.

Perhaps I should start locking the door.

Nah, it's too stressful, going to open up when someone knocks? Na. Let it remain this way.

Chi runs in shortly after, breathing heavily like she has just finished a marathon. "I'm sorry ... I ... He ... I tried to stop him."

Her black, pencil gown hugs her curves, the rise and fall of her chest is pretty evident. Her lips are partly open and she has a hand on her waist like she's yet to fully recover from running upstairs. She must have taken the stairs to catch up with the intruder.

"It's fine," I say with a smile, tugging on the hem of my jacket for strange reasons. I go on to dismiss her with a wave of my hand, making sure to retain my smile so she doesn't feel bad. This is not her fault, it's his.

I don't even want to imagine the torture she put herself through running up the stairs in her nude pumps with needle-like heels.

Chi blesses me with a smile which causes tiny lines to appear on her long, pointed nose and her cheeks reddens. I can't tell if it's the blush she applied or her cheeks are that red but the smile remains on my lips.

Redirecting my stare to King who has made himself comfortable on the seat across me, I stand and sit back almost immediately. I don't have to answer to him anymore, this is my office. I make the rules here, not him.

"What do you want here, Mr Daniels? I think the polite thing to do is to knock and wait for the person to ask you in," I pause and wait for my words to sink in. "You did not knock and I did not ask you to come in."

A slight frown mars King's handsome face and I mentally jubilate at my small victory. He hates being addressed by his last name, only Mr Adams is allowed to. But I don't care, if he dares to come into my office unannounced, he will take whatever name I call him. Besides, it's still his name.

King arches a perfect eyebrow at me, places his folded hands on the table. "I wanted to catch you unawares, maybe sleeping or something so I can tell Boss how lazy you are. You should never have gotten this job."

I scoff and cross my arms under my breasts, which brings his attention to my cleavage. Maybe I am a Junior staff and he has been a staff longer than I have but the decision was not made by me. I never had much of a say and if he has an issue with it, he can take it up with the person who gave the orders.

With a smile, I mutter the words I've always longed to tell him, "Get out of my office."

"Now," he says and rises slowly from his seat, stalking towards me until his legs hit the back of my chair. "Don't let this job get into your head, you are coming back to Madiba and I am still the boss of you."