31

|||||

|||||

Ashton watched the waves as she leant back against the windscreen of the Scout, Deran beside her sitting cross legged on the hood. She looked past Craig as she stood on the sand before the treeline before the sand, his eyes set out on the horizon. She sighed, peaking over Deran's shoulder to see if her joint was ready yet.

'You ever wonder what it would've been like if we'd been born into a different family?' Craig asked out of the blue.

'You mean what it would've been like if we were born as crabs or some shit?' Deran suggested.

'No more mind games, no more backstabbing. How would that have felt?'

'Trust me, man. You guys are a step up from my last family,' She sighed.

'Yo, we should go to Fiji till this blows over.'

'Fiji?' Deran asked as he watched his brother walk over.

'Yeah, I've been reading all about it. Surf, live off the land.'

'Oh, like eating nuts and berries and shit?'

'No, more like drunken tourists coming out of samba bars, asshole.'

'They don't have samba in Fiji,' The girl chimed as she sat up.

'Who gives a shit? Let's just go anyway.'

'No,' Deran stated as he licked the cigarette paper.

'Till it's safe.'

'No. I can't, man. You know I can't... And besides, we need our cut, once Baz starts selling everything.'

'Unless Smurf gets out.'

Both the younger siblings sent Craig a look, Ashton rolling her joint between her lips as Deran lit his own.

'What? You ever known Smurf not to be working an angle?' He asked when he caught them.

They didn't reply, the girl blowing a stream of white smoke into the air as she leant back against the windscreen once more.

'Shit,' Deran muttered as he slid off the hood; 'We gotta go see her. Today. If we don't, she's gonna think we're on Baz's side.'

'Wait, whose side are we on?' She asked.

'Nobody's. Our own. Can't let her think that, though.'

She huffed in annoyance as she slid off the hood as he brothers climbed into the car, holding her joint between her fingers as she looked at them.

'Baz is gonna freak,' Craig stated.

'Not if we don't tell him,' Deran shrugged; 'Ash, come on.'

'Nah. I'm gonna get Eli to come get me,' She shook her head.

'What? No. Come on.'

'She knows I hit the unit with Baz, ok? I haven't seen her since it happened, which means she'll ask about it or make some sort of comment.'