28

|||||

|||||

Ashton walked up the stairs to her apartment with her board tucked under her arm, her wet suit hanging off the end of it. She hummed to herself as she placed it down against the railing, turning around as she pulled her keys out of her pocket; only to pause when she saw the door already open. Slowly, she pushed it open and stepped inside, eyes raking over the space before her. That was when she smelt the food, her brows furrowing as she headed for the small kitchen.

'Shell?' She queried.

'Hey, Fish' Michelle replied as she paused from cooking; 'Sorry to barge in.'

'Well, not that I don't love having you here, what are you doing here?'

The woman sighed, tapping the wooden spoon on the edge of the pot and placed the lid on.

'I think it's time you and I had a chat,' She stated.

'Ok?' Ashton replied unsurely.

'Eli will be over in a little while.'

She nodded, moving to sit cautiously in front of Michelle as she sat on the couch. Her eyes moved to the night sky out the window, licking her lips nervously.

'First, I wanted to thank you for protecting my family the other day,' Michelle stated before she pulled Ashton's hand into her lap; 'But I need you to tell me where you got the gun?'

'I can't,' She whispered.

The woman nodded firmly, 'Can you tell me why you think he killed your parents?'

'Andy said he told you.'

'He did, and I can understand why... But, you're not allowed to go to the cops?'

'No.'

'Ash... Your parents case is a cold one, if you think he did it-'

'I can't get the cops involved, not now. Probably never.'

'Why? Please, just tell me why. I know I've never asked questions before, but this is huge, sweetheart.'

'Because... My family isn't good, Shell. That's all I can say, but Eli understands. He knows why... But, I can't go to the cops. It'll put my family in jail.'

Michelle studied her face as she sat still, her face blank. The Wright girl wanted to cry then, her throat closing up a little.

'I'm sorry, Shell,' She croaked; 'But I can't... I have a back up though, but it's not concrete.'

'I want you to talk to him,' Michelle stated; 'I want to see his face when you ask him.'

'Shell-'

'No, you need this and I need this. Ok? We need confirmation.'

She nodded, lowering her gaze with a light sigh.