Chapter 3:

Rose POV:

          "I guess we'll just have to wait and see!" I said. I hope that it is true. That I am about to be a mother. I will never treat my child how... Ruth... treated me. I hold out my arms to Jack and he walks closer. He wraps his arms around my waist and I hug him, my arms tight around his neck.  I close my eyes. Tears start to slide down my cheeks. Out of happiness. I pull my head back and place my lips against his.                                                                                                                                            It's night time, and we are in our bed, about to go to sleep. "Jack?" I say, staring at the ceiling, asking him from the other side of the bed. 

"Yes, Rose?" He answers. I turn towards him. 

"Do you want a boy or a girl?" I ask. He looks at me and a slight grin slips onto his face. 

"It would be nice to have a girl," he answers. He looks past me like he's - thinking. 

"We need to start making money. If we are going to have a family and a house," I say. Jack breaks out of his thinking and looks back at me. 

"Of course! I will walk over to that animation studio and look for a job," he says. My face turns to confusion. 

"Jack, whatever is an animation studio?" I ask. 

"Well, they make flipbooks so it looks like the picture is moving!" He says. 

"That is so cool!" I answer. "I will try to get a job at a cafe or something like that. I noticed that they had a 'help wanted' sign on the window," I say. 

"We will build our lives up in no time," Jack answers. That night, I go to sleep happy. 

The next morning, Jack goes to the animation studio and I go over to the cafe. I walk in the door. 

"Hello, how may I help you?" The worker at the bar asks. 

"Oh, hello! I was interested in getting a job here as a... waitress?" I reply.   

"Ok, I will bring to the manager. Please follow me," she says. I follow her into a back room where the manager is. The manager interviews me and tells me that they will send the results next week. 

                                                          Jack POV:

When I walk into the animation studio, I have to look around a little bit to find someone to help me. 

"What is your business here?" They ask. This takes me by surprise. 

"Oh, I uh, I wanted to see if I could uh, get a job here? Working as an animator for flipbooks to sell?" I say. He looks relieved when I say this. Like he was expecting me to be here for another cause. 

"Oh! Well, we do need some more, do you have a portfolio of your sketches that you can show me?" He asks, looking at my empty hands. "I guess not, I'll give you until tomorrow to make one and then come back and show me," he said. 

"Okay! Thank you for the opportunity Mr..." I waited for him to tell me his name. 

"Frederick," he said. 

"Mr. Frederick," I repeated. I turned around and walked out the door with a smile on my face. When I got home, Rose was already there. 

"How was your  job experience?" I ask. 

"Oh, fine, I guess, I got interviewed. They will send in the results next week. How was yours?" she replied. 

"If you could even call it that," I said. "I have to draw a bunch of sketches by tomorrow and show him them," I say. 

"Alright, you can do it! You are a great artist!" She says. It was reassuring. 

"Thank you," I replied. I spent the rest of the day drawing sketches of objects and people and by the next day, I had five sketches. I walked back to the animation studio and found Mr. Frederick. 

"Here you go, I have five sketches for you!" I said as I handed him the sketches.  He took them and looked at them with a surprised face. 

"Magnificent!" He said as a smile crept on to his face. "You're hired!"

                     *                                          *                                     *

                                                           Rose POV:

On Wednesday of the next week, I got a letter in the mail from the cafe that I wanted to work at. Jack Has been working at the animation studio for a while earning a dollar a day which is really good! I bring the letter inside to show Jack. 

"Do you want me to read it?" Jack asks. I hand it to him and he unfolds it. "Dear Ms. Dawson," he looks at me and smiles. "We are pleased to inform you that you have been excepted for the job of a waitress! You may start tomorrow at 7:20 am. Your daily salary is 0.66 cents but you will get more if people give you tips. See you tomorrow!" He looks up at me with a smile. "Rose you did it! You got in!" He places his lips on mine and I lose myself in the kiss.