Chapter One

It was a chilly, rainy night and the dark gray clouds loomed over Zora Domain. The bright, shiny blue luminous stone that made up the structure of the domain glowed sharply against the bland colors of the surrounding forest, and lightning boomed overhead.

I stood facing the lake of water around my home, the raindrops making small circles in the water. It was an oddly calming sight, and I always came out to watch it. There had been increasing attacks from the beasts that surrounded the domain in the past month, and in times like this, one could always use some relaxation.

Guards appointed by the king, my father, surrounded every possible entrance to the domain, defending the Zora with their lives. They carried silver spears and shields, and stood day and night, keeping a close eye on the monster camps that seemed to be growing. It was comforting knowing that we were being protected, but scary knowing we had to be.

I myself carried a trident that had been passed from generation to generation in the royal family. It was known as the lightscale trident, and, although I hadn't used it yet, I was told it was very effective. I shuddered at the thought of putting it to use; I couldn't stand fights. The sight of wounds made me sick.

Despite being a princess, I was modest and silent. I was rarely seen socializing, as I didn't have many Zora friends. Over all, I was an antisocial, nervous, quiet princess. I didn't like people.

Well, there was one person...

I felt a hand on my shoulder, and I spun around to see who it was.

One of the guards, Zebo, stood behind me.

"Princess Mipha," he bowed. "It is late. You should rest."

"Yes," I nodded reluctantly, turning away and heading toward my sleeping quarters. I glared back at the guard as he returned to his post. What business did he have, telling the princess what to do? Although, he was right. It was almost pitch black now, and the moon and stars were invisible due to the clouds.

I walked up the large, glowing blue staircase and looked down at the forest. Glowing fires dotted the landscape; monster camps. They hid in the shelter of the trees, attacking anything that came near them. They once crossed the Zora bridge, trying to get into the domain. Though they were quickly, demolished, it was still a terrible sight. They carried weapons of their own, and some of them could use the power of electricity to anyone who dared approach them. When anyone came close to one of their camps, they blew a loud, blaring horn to warn the other monsters around them. I had heard that horn many times before. That terrible, ear-piercing horn...

Suddenly, the domain was awake. Awake with screams, and Zora running frantically up and down the winding staircases of the city. Guards flooded around me, and half-carried half-led me up to the king's room.

"Protect the princess!" I heard one yell, and I watched as a whole flood of guards raced up Zora Bridge. I was led to my father's room, along with my little brother, Prince Sidon.

The monsters' horn blew, and my stomach dropped. We were under attack.

"Mipha!" Sidon raced up to me, hugging my legs. "I'm scared!"

"Don't worry," I soothed my little brother. "Everything will be alright."

"What in Hylia's name is going on!?" The King demanded.

"Lizalfos," The chief guard stepped up to my father's throne. "Lots of them. They have more advanced weapons than we have ever seen."

My Father stood up from his seat. "We will need our strongest forces. No, we will need all of our forces. Get out there, and fight for our lives."