Chapter One: Two Years On

"So how's your week been?" The chirpy therapist smiled charmingly at Ash, but she wasn't in the mood. With her arms across her chest, she raised her eyebrow silently. Dr Waters waited for half a minute in the silence before sighing, laying her pen next to her stack of papers on the desk before her. Locking her gaze with Ash's resistant stare, her expression became gentle. "It's been two months. You're going to have to talk to me eventually."

Ash scoffed. "I don't have to talk to you."

Dr Waters looked sympathetically at her. It made her want to puke. "Look, I know that you liked Dr Davies and I'm really sorry that he's been transferred but I am your new therapist, and I promise that I will do everything in my power to make you feel even just a little bit better."

Ash smirked coldly. "Well you can start by wearing less make up. I mean, Jesus, you're not on the market talking to me, are you? And second of all, have a go putting your hair up. Not everyone wants to be put down by your stupidly perfect blonde fairytale locks."

The smile was wiped from Dr Waters' face immediately, to be replaced by surprise and hurt. Somewhere deep inside, Ash felt apologetic, but she pushed it away where she couldn't hear it.

"Still want to sit with me for the next 49 minutes or can I leave?" Ash asked harshly.

Dr Waters' eyebrows twitched into a frown, and she straightened her papers nervously. Clearly she'd just come out of university with her Psychology degree and PhD. However, Ash was unexpectedly respecting of the fact that she wasn't dismissed.

"What do you want to talk about then?" Dr Waters asked timidly, clearly shaken by Ash's comment on her appearance.

"I want to talk about me leaving." With this, Ash pushed herself up off the admittedly comfortable armchair, and wandered over to the door.

"Wait," Dr Waters said, her voice shaking, as Ash pulled open the door. Ash stopped, curious as to what the woman wanted. "Why can't you just let me help you?"

Ash smirked, but didn't turn around to her. "Let's just say that it's boring to have all the easy cases. Take out your textbooks. I'll be your first challenge."

Without waiting for an answer, Ash sauntered out of the room, closing the door behind her. She shoved her hands in her pockets, walking down the corridor and out the front of the counsellor's building. Her block of flats was only around the corner, so she was quite happy walking.

It was dark now, even though it was only 6pm, but mid-January, it was expected. A light sprinkle of snow lay across the pavement, snowflakes still falling from the black sky. Ash looked up as a chilling wind whipped her hair back from her face. Night was her time, when she could enjoy the peace and privacy from normal people and everyday life. Night was when the freaks came out, where she could slip into a crowd and not be noticed.

The street lamp outside of her block of flats flickered gently as she passed it like a dodgy spotlight, unsure of whether it should be lighting the pathway or not. On entering the hallway, she was attacked by the smell of alcohol and stale urine, so she tried not to breathe as she forced herself up the stairs to the second floor.

Davy was sat in the corridor again. He had been her neighbour ever since she'd moved in 2 years ago. He was a bit of a freak and an alcoholic of sorts, but they were friends enough that he didn't scare her anymore.

"Back from counselling?" he asked with slurred speech. His dark eyes were bloodshot, though past this he didn't look as terrible as normal.

Ash stepped past him, slipping the key into her door's lock. "Well I am here, so I would presume I'm not sat in that shitty excuse for a counsellor's room anymore."