17 Lifeguards

Wes Blue

I have woken up in many rooms, in many towns. It's not something I like to brag about, but unfortunately that's the truth.

But I've never woken up in someone's room without actually sleeping with someone, as in having sex. The light is so bright when I open my eyes and I have to squint for sometime as I'm tiredly getting up. The room is empty and I sit on the corner, placing my head in my hands.

Last night was one of the weirdest yet most calming nights I've ever had. The conversation between Katherine and I was so civil I now think maybe it was a dream. It felt weird, to not see her furrow her brows when I would throw an insult, to not raise our voices at all. It was actually comfortable, so why do I feel like it was so wrong?

I stand up and grab my shirt that I placed on her vanity before I went to bed. I throw it over my head and open the door, where I instantly feel the smell of bacon. I know who's cooking, because there's only one person in this group who's capable of using the kitchen.

She's standing in front of the cooker with her back turned to me, wearing a black silky robe. I can see her shoulders moving as she's laughing at something Carter must've said, seeing that he's sitting on a stool in front of the kithen island.

"Morning." I gently slap Carter on the back and he spins to face me, holding a cup of coffee in his hands.

"You good?" He asks and I nod.

"I didn't drink. But you." I smirk at him. "Are you good?"

He waves me off and points to the coffee. I chuckle and walk inside the kitchen. I start opening the cupboards to find cereal or something like that and succeed after three tries. I grab the box out of the cupboard and just then Katherine moves in front of me, placing taking sugar from the same cupboard. She glances up at me but quickly looks away. I try not to be driven by the cherry scent of her hair and move away, opening the fridge to take the milk out.

"Good morning, everyone." Sarah's voice booms through the living room as she steps out of her room, already in a bikini.

"You're done already?" Carter looks at her and raises his eyebrows.

"Yup." She places her beach bag on the counter and grabs a banana from the fruit bowl. "Kat, you'll be done soon or?"

Katherine moves some plates on the counter and my eyes widen when I see the bacon, eggs, cheese and an omelette stacked on each one. She smiles to herself and pushes her hair back, letting her soft curls fall down her back.

"I'll go and change now." She announces and hurries to her room. I watch as her legs move over the carpet before turning to the couple.

"Are you going to the pool?" I ask and Carter nods, getting up to place his cup in the sink.

"Kat made breakfast for you guys so we were waiting on her to finish." Sarah smiles.

I take one of the plates and sit next to her as I start eating the breakfast. If I knew how to make such a good omelette I'd eat it every morning. I literally clean the plate, seeing as I ate everything possible. The doors behind me open and I see Sarah's smile as she looks at the person behind me.

"I need to go shopping in New York otherwise I'll never find a suit like that." She says and I know she's talking to Katherine.

I am growing giddy because I want to turn around, but then again, all I will think of was that night. And I know that night shouldn't repeat itself. I don't want to be attached to someone, especially not her, in a way where I'll have to think about certain actions of mine.

"Alright ladies, lets go." Carter says and gets up from the stool. I mutter a goodbye and impatiently wait for the front door to close.

Mel exits Jessica's room and he is most definitely stunned when he sees that breakfast is already made. I tell him to take one and he grabs it and sits beside me, digging into his omelette.

"Where are the others?" He asks me.

"Down at the pool."

"Who?" He looks at me while munching on a piece of bacon.

"Sarah, Carter and Katherine." I reply and almost roll my eyes when he starts wiggling his eyebrows. Ever since he realized Katherine and I slept together he's been bugging me about it every five minutes.

"You didn't want to go with them, huh?"

"They didn't even ask." I shrug. Not like I care, I wouldn't go anyway.

"What's up with her?" Mel asks and throws a piece of the omelette into his mouth.

"Nothing."

"Nothing?" He looks at me and stops eating. "Is that what you want it to be?"

"Yes." I conclude. I've told him my opinions on anything more with her. I've admired her body for a long time, but a one night stand is called that way for a reason. Katherine and I don't match, and I actually haven't even thought of anything more.

"You should've gone. Maybe she needs her zipper to be unzipped." He starts with a smirk and I groan instantly.

"That's not how bathing suits work." I tell him but he ignores me.

"What if she starts drowning? Who will give her mouth to mouth?"

"That's what the lifeguard is for."

"You know some bikinis are see-through." He says but not before stopping to wink. "But you've seen it all, anyway."

"Mel, for God's sake, shut up." I get up from the stool and hear him chuckle. People who don't know him probably think he's the one that doesn't speak much, but I've been with him most of my life and I can confirm he is mad.

"C'mon, cuz, let me have my jokes." He says through his laughs and I only glare at him.

Luckily, his girlfriend opens the door of her room and makes her way towards us. I silently warn Mel not to say anything now and he only nods, becoming more serious. Jessica comes from behind Mel and wraps her arms around him, giving him a small kiss on his neck. He smiles and pulls her to his side so that she's leaning on him.

"What's up?" She murmurs quietly, yawning afterwards. Mel takes a piece of the egg with his fork and rests his other hand around her.

"Well, actually, Wes is planning to become a lifeguard."