Chapter 29

I did what Slender told me to do.

I kept training and I continued with my daily routine.

The house seemed much busier now and everyone seemed to have less time for leisure. That meant that I had to help out a bit more. I cooked more meals, washed dishes, did so much laundry, picked up several messes, and so on. I guess I was doing the same things I did when I first arrived, but now it was just more of it.

However, I still had a little bit of extra time to myself, which I usually spent in the library. But, I'll admit that this wasn't always the best idea.

Studying spells was not easy. It required a lot of focus and patience. I would maybe compare it to learning a new language. However, this had higher stakes. Sometimes I would start practicing after a tiring day, and while I would normally be careful about which books I picked up, I wasn't as careful when I was tired. Nothing bad had happened yet, though, so I figured all was well... or at least as well as things could be when everyone was preparing for a war.

One night, while I was practicing, a thought came into my head that stopped me immediately while I was in the middle of a spell. I froze on the spot and put the book down. Then, I proceeded to find a place to sit, and when I did find a chair, I sunk into it slowly.

"Why am I even doing this?" I asked myself.

"I'm learning all these spells, but for what purpose? A quarter of these are for protection, those I understand. But, another quarter of them are for combat and the other half are just random spells. That being said, I'll probably only ever use a quarter of these spells..." I trailed off.

I rubbed my eyes and looked up towards the skylights.

Slender won't let me go into war with them for so many reasons. I might be doing okay in training but I'm not as strong as them. Even if I could match their levels, I'd still be much weaker, because unlike them, I'm human.

My thoughts flashed back to fanfics I had read long ago, in which the main character almost always ended up becoming a creepypasta. I wondered if that was even possible for me, and if it was, why Slender hadn't already done it. I guess I already had a few ideas, though. For one, I didn't really have a tragic backstory or interesting past. My life was pretty boring until I had been taken.

Another reason was that I didn't really have anything special about me. Jeff has his whole murdering his family thing, Toby with his dad, EJ and his kidneys, but me, I didn't have any of that. Clocky had her eye, Jane had her hatred for Jeff, and LJ was a clown.

If I became a pasta, I wouldn't have anything going for me except for that. Would I gain powers? I felt like you had to earn the right to become a pasta before you received any benefits from it. I thought that you didn't choose the lifestyle, rather it chose you. If I wanted to be considered a pasta, I needed to do it all on my own. Being given powers wouldn't truly make me a pasta.

I shook my head.

I doubted that the whole "becoming a pasta" thing even existed. Surely I would have heard about it at this point, but I hadn't. That had to mean that it wasn't a thing.

My thoughts circled back to where they began.

"I won't be out there on the battlefield, so what's the point in learning these spells?" I asked, burying my head in my hands.

I pulled on my face slowly, dragging my hands down it, until my hands finally released my face and an idea creeped into my head.

"What if...no, I couldn't... but-but what if I did?" I mumbled.

What if I snuck my way into the war? What if I stayed in the shadows and helped from there? If no one saw me, then I'd be okay. Slender couldn't be mad at me for something he didn't know I did. I really wanted to help and I didn't think staying at home would be helpful in any way.

I considered the potential consequences.

Death was a big one.

But would I rather die having done nothing, or die having at least tried?

Slender being mad at me was another thing.

However, if I managed to survive it, then wouldn't it make Slender see how capable I am? Wouldn't he be glad I helped?

He'd be mad for sure, but he probably wouldn't be able to stay mad forever.

I had made up my mind.

I checked the time to see if I could practice any longer, especially since I now felt greatly motivated, but I realized that I had been in the library for quite some time.

I sighed and put away all the books and then I quietly made my exit.

Exhaustion took over me, so I had planned on just going to sleep, but that plan was cut short when I began hearing a lot of noise.

The sound of a door bursting open, followed by several frantic footsteps and shouting filled my hearing. A door slammed shut and produced a loud "bang" and then more yelling ensued.

I stood in the hallway and looked in the direction of my room, which was in the opposite direction of all the noise. Then I looked in the direction of the noise and sighed.

I cautiously, but quickly, made my way towards all the noise, wanting to know what all the ruckus was about.

I entered the living room only to be greeted with chaos.

Half of the night shift were wounded, although not too badly. It still worried me though. Those who were at the house had gathered in the living and were listening to the shouts of the night shift, trying to make sense of it.

That was when Slender appeared.

"Silence!" He boomed, standing in the center of the room.

The room went silent immediately.

"What is going on?" He asked, looking around for an answer.

Several of them began talking at once, trying to explain, until finally one voice spoke up louder.

"It's started," Masky stated, darkly.

No one spoke.

A few seconds later, Slender was belting out orders like some military chief and the pastas were racing around to follow them.

I just stood back and watched it all, unable to believe that the war had finally started.

•••••
1121 words

Thoughts? Comments?

What'd you think?

Did you like this chapter?

Unedited