Chapter Fifteen

Hey, Fitzphie fans! Miss me? Sorry sorry sorry for not updating! I thought this week would be less busy and I'd be able to get the next chapter out faster, but it turned out to be even busier than last week. Even so, I made you guys a promise. 😘 Here's the next chapter; I hope you like it! Let me know, as always, what you want to see happen in future parts of this fanfic.

Sophie told Fitz about all she had seen in Councillor Terik's mind. While she whispered to him, he grew paler and paler. He was as white as a ghost by the time she finished. But he hadn't gone mute.

"So...there are two things we should worry about. First, the Neverseen has information that they can use against us at any time."

Sophie gulped. "Yes."

"Second, we have reason to believe that the Council has washed memories in mass amounts on multiple occasions because they were so comfortable doing so now."

She gulped even harder. "Yes again."

Fitz began to pace. Back and forth. Back and forth. Back...and forth.

"Should we go to Alden?" Asked Sophie. "He can help us figure out what information is important to think about and what is just unnecessary stress."

Fitz fiddled with his cognate rings as he thought about her idea. "Yeah, okay. Let's leap to Everglen."

• • • • • •

As expected, Sophie and Fitz were told there was no reason to worry. Sophie was also told to go to Havenfield and get a good night's sleep. When she came home, however, she was bombarded with questions from her parents.

"How did it go?" Asked Edaline.

"...Well. We get to be matched."

"That's so great, Sophie! I'm glad it went as planned."

"Yeah...about that..."

"What is it? Is there a condition?" Grady narrowed his eyes.

"No. It's just that some other things happened at the Tribunal, too."

"Oh? Tell us what happened. Was it Fitz? Did the Council argue?"

"No...But we're going to have another election soon." She pulled out an itchy eyelash.

"What?!"

"Two, actually. And a ...law change?"

"What did you do?!" Grady and Edaline stared at Sophie in horror.

"Nothing! Nothing. It's just that Councillors Emery and Alina are being...impeached."

A moment passed.

"We'll be needing an explanation, Sophie."

"Oh. Right. Yes. Okay. Um. Yeah."

"...preferably today."

"Yup. Of course. One explanation coming right up."

"...Sophie?"

"Uhh...yeah. So, Emery and Alina were maybe sort of...involved. Romantically." Grady and Edaline day up straight, clearing their throats and looking supremely uncomfortable.

"Well... I suppose that does call for an election."

"Yeah."

"Wow."

"I know."

"Mm-hmm."

And on that awkward note, Sophie's parents left her to sleep.

In her dreams, there was a lot going on. Some good things and some not-so-good things happened. Good thing: She was wearing Fritz's crush cuffs. Bad thing: Keefe was trying to yank them off of her wrists. Good thing: School was starting soon, and she'd be back at Foxfire. Bad thing: School was starting soon, and she'd be back at Foxfire. Good thing: The Neverseen weren't present. Bad thing: She could hear them whispering in the shadows, plotting the demise of all Sophie loved.

She shot awake, sweaty and breathing hard. Iggy looked at her with concern and hopped out of his cage to make sure she was okay. Sophie let him snuggle into her arms as she thought about her strange dream. It wasn't like the nightmare she had with her echo. It wasn't like the horribly realistic terror of the few nights ago that she was at Everglen. It was just...an odd dream. Sure, it was unsettling and abnormal. But then again, so was Sophie's entire life. She then realized that the mixed bag of emotions she got from her dream were quite like the normal ones she had experienced years before, when she lived with Amy and her human parents. Sophie realized that, for the first time in a long time, she had a normal dream. And the thought of that alone was calming enough to let her fall back into a peaceful slumber.