Chapter Fourteen

Sophie couldn't help it.

She really, really tried to control herself.

But the temptation was just too strong.

She broke into Fitz's mind.

"I agree with Sophie," whispered Oralie's mind.

"I do not. The rules have worked for thousands of years," grumbled Bronte's.

"They deserve punishment," thought Zarina. "But a change is also in order."

Sophie knew they were talking about Alina and Emery, but Councillor Terik hadn't added anything to the telepathic debate. He was usually an active participant in Tribunals, so his silence was out of the ordinary. Sophie pushed deeper into his mind. Swirling around in his thoughts were countless memories of things he had done as a Councillor, big events that happened in Eternalia, and the occasional planting of a Wanderling. Sophie stayed away from those. But as she sifted through his mind, searching for a reason to stay silent in such an important conversation, she caught sight of a quite recent memory of an open cache.

The only word she could think of was, huh?

So she dove deeper, watching the memory like a movie.

Terik opened the cache only because he could not stand the thought of not knowing about his own thoughts any longer. But when he did, he instantly regretted it. The first secret memory was about a memory alteration that had only happened just a few days before. The Council had sent for a Reset, giving the Neverseen vague information as collateral while they returned the Shade boy and erased the memories of his capture from the minds of Sophie Foster and her friends. They needed the moonlark stable. Terik's memories came flooding back, and he remembered the smaller details. The Shade had learned many things with the Neverseen, worrying the Councillors. He could form shade into a mass, allowing it to become a projectile or even weapon.  Terik especially was worried about keeping Eternalia safe from harm with him back since his attitude was so horrible and his moods so unpredictable. His potential was also very great. Terik couldn't stand the worry, so he washed it from his mind and the Council's.

Sophie just about fainted. She grew increasingly pale as the memory went on, shaking uncontrollably when it was over. She turned and looked at Fitz, who was still trying to keep the Council's argumentative the thoughts in order.

Fitz, she transmitted. When this Tribunal is over, I need to talk to you.

His brilliant teal eyes flicked to her, concerned by her tone. Um, okay. Want to tell me what about?

It's kind of sensitive. And maybe slightly illegal. So no, not yet.

Oh. Okay. Wow. Yeah, we can talk later.

Great. Thanks!

No problem, Sophie. Fitz's mind was cleansed of worry and filled up with happiness. Something else, too, but Sophie couldn't decipher what the emotion was. She knew, though, that it was a very positive one.

"Attention!" Called out Councillor Noland. Everyone winced.

"We have reached a decision!"
Another wince.

Oralie cleared her throat, signaling that perhaps she would be a better speaker.

"In agreement with what Miss Sophie Foster earlier stated, Councillors Emery and Alina will be impeached." Pause. "Nomination scrolls will go out at sunrise tomorrow. In addition, however, the Council has decided to abolish the law keeping Councillors from having romantic relationships. The vote was not unanimous, but only required a majority." She looked at Bronte. Sophie wasn't surprised by his vote. She was just happy the law was passed. Fitz walked towards her.

"You wanted to talk?"

"Yes...it's about Tam and the Neverseen."