Chapter One

Hey there, Keeper fans! Disclaimer: Flashback spoilers ahead! Read at your own risk!! Also, all of these characters, places, and events belong to Shannon Messsenger. (We love you, Shannon!) Thanks so much for reading my fanfic and I hope you enjoy!

Sophie sat on her bed, her face blank and her heart deflated. Her shimmering teal dress lay rumpled on the carpet of her room. Unmatchable. Unmatchable. What did that mean? The two giggling ladies at the Matchmaking center had been of no help; they just kept on forcing smiles and telling her she might find more information in the pamphlet available at the entrance. Sophie didn't want a pamphlet. She wanted a list of names...preferably Fitz's. Ugh...What was she going to tell Fitz, anyway? Hey, so I went to go register for the match and stuff, but apparently I'm not compatible with anybody and now I'm going to be alone forever? That would never fly. And she couldn't risk for him to get so upset, what with his echoes being so newly healed. But he would be even more hurt if she waited to tell him. And so she reached out for his mind.

Fitz?

Sophie! I was just thinking about you. Why don't you come over to Everglen later? I want to talk to you about...something.

Sophie smiled at his suspicious wording. He always knew how to cheer her up, even if he didn't mean to. And what might that something be?

Tell you what—you come over and I'll tell you. But I think you'll like it. Do we have a deal?

Okay—she remembered what she had to say—wait, I need to talk to you about something.

Uh-oh. I know that tone. What's wrong?

Sophie swallowed and prepared to herself to tell Fitz the truth. I wanted to surprise you. She felt a lump in her throat and tears in her eyes. She couldn't believe how horribly the morning had went. I went to the Matchmaker's office this morning. She felt Fitz sit up straighter. I tried to register. I figured it would be best for...us...if I did. But something happened...

Was it about your biological parents?

I'm not sure. But the two helpers who were submitting my registration both had something on their screens that definitely should not have been there.

Sophie, you can trust me. What?

They...she inhaled shakily. They said I'm unmatchable.

...Unmatchable. His mental voice sounded like it was trying to make sense of the word.

There was silence for a long while.

I don't know what to do. Her transmission was weak and sad.

Could it have been a mistake?

No, it wasn't a mistake. They definitely submitted the correct information. I went over it with them.

So what's the problem?

Like I said, I'm not sure. It might be my genetics...or my special abilities.

She felt a change of tone in Fitz's next response. He was in denial. Let me ask my dad. I'm sure it's not a big deal.

Somehow Sophie felt like it was.