Chapter 14

Chapter 14

"Stormie!"

Shantel greeted me with a warm hug, as soon as I climbed out of the car. She wrapped her arms around me tightly and buried her face on my neck.

I smiled weakly.

"Hello, Shantel."

She pulled from the hug and casted a huge grin on her face. "I'm so glad you're back!"

Tipid lang na ngiti ang iginanti ko sa kaniya. Mom and Dad just nodded at me. Nauna na silang pumasok sa bahay. I helped Abuela out of the car and together, we entered the room with Shantel's chirping voice booming around the large mansion.

"I'll help you with the enrollment papers! We'll be in the same department. Sa Sta. Veronica College ako nag-enroll," she winked at me.

Iginala ko ang paningin sa bahay. I couldn't feel any longing in this mansion where all of my bad memories are housing. Kahit isang taon lang akong nawala, wala pa ring pinagbago. If anything, I feel like I'm stepping inside a stranger's house.

"Welcome back, mija." Dad said gruffly. He gestured towards the chair I used to sit. "Take a seat and we'll have dinner. We'll also talk about your studies, now that you're finally here."

Tumango lamang ako at sinunod ang sinabi niya. My hair had grown a bit since I was away. Hanggang balikat ko na ito ngayon. Whereas Shantel, on the other hand, had her hair cut short. I eyed her hair, thinking I should dye my hair brown and just let it grow just to separate my looks from her.

"Sa Sta. Veronica College po ba talaga ako mag-aaral?" tanong ko kay Dad habang tinutusok ng tinidor ang beef steak sa aking pinggan.

"Yeah. You want to attend college in San Fernando?" nagtaas ng kilay si Dad sa akin.

Tahimik akong umiling at ipinagpatuloy ang pagkain. Ayaw ko lang talagang um-attend ng kaparehong eskwelahan kay Shantel pero hindi ko naman maisatinig. I'll get compared to her, that's for sure. Wala pa rin namang pinagbago sa sitwasyon ko ngayon, eh. Nawala lang ako ng isang taon. But things remained as bad as I left it.

"Shantel will accompany you in enrollment. You'll enroll as a freshman, of course. Shantel is already in her Sophomore year."

"Wouldn't that stain your reputation, Dad?" I asked and I couldn't hide the bitterness in my voice. "Letting me attend the same college as Shantel? We'll get compared."

"Stormie!" galit na asik ni mommy.

"I'm just asking," I shrugged.

"The elections are over, Stormie."

"Yeah. Congratulations on being elected as the governor again..."

Napatingin si Dad sa akin, sinusuri ako. I've never talked back to him before and now that I'm doing it, he's blown. Talking back to the governor is a back-breaking move, I must say. But I just can't stand them anymore.

"You'll study in Sta. Veronica College and that's final." Dad said with a scowl on his face. I can tell that he's already losing his patience in me.

Kinagat ko ang pang-ibabang labi at tumango. Tahimik na akong kumain. Shantel cleared her throat and began telling stories of her summer vacation in Hawaii with her friends to lighten up the mood. Nagkatinginan lang kaming dalawa ni Abuela, walang umiimik maski isa.

Nang matapos na kaming kumain ay nagpaalam akong magpapahinga na sa kwarto. I am so tired. Hindi ako nakatulog sa biyahe kanina. I am so anxious all the way here. Lalo pa nang masilayan ko ang dagat ng La Union at ang bayang kinalakhan pagkatapos ng isang taon.