chapter twelve

Começar do início

“Just tell me why.” He said.

I opened my mouth to say something but he cut me off.

“After everything I’ve done for you, after everything that we’ve been through. Why?”

I shook my head slowly and raised an eyebrow.

“Jax, what are you talking about?” I asked.

He clenched his jaw and sighed deeply.

“If you’re straight with me, I might be able to fix this. But if you lie there’s nothing I can do.” He went on.

I could see him trembling. He was fighting to keep himself in control. He was angry. Angry at me. I took a step towards him and immediately he stepped back.

“Fix what? Jax, I don’t know what you’re talking about.” I said softly.

His eyes narrowed and he shoved his hand in his jeans pocket.

“I’m talking about this.” He said as he threw something at me.

It was a card. A business card. Gabriel’s business card. I picked it up and closed my eyes.

“Where did you get this?” I asked in a hushed voice.

This time he took a step closer and I could feel the heat coming off him.

“It doesn’t matter. All that does is you’re talking to some lawyer. Do you know what happens to rats, McKayla?” He spat.

Rats? He thinks I’m a rat? My eyes popped open and I stared at him.

“You, you think I’m a rat?” I asked him.

He turned from me and walked to the dresser. He was gripping it with such force that I thought he could break it. In the mirror I could see him looking down at his hands.

“What am I supposed to think? You use me to kill your ex and then you take off for two weeks only to come back unannounced. You make me tell you details about club business and then I find out that you’ve been meeting with a god damn lawyer.”

I didn’t say anything. I couldn’t. How would he know that I’ve met with Gabriel? How did he even get the business card?

“I really thought you were different. Now I know you’re no better than the whores that hang around the club. You’ll say anything to get laid. Is that what he does? Does he fuck you for intel on us?” He said in a dark voice.

Everything came to a halt in my mind and the only thing I heard was ‘whore’. Jax was calling me a whore. He thought I was sleeping with Gabriel. I gasped and staggered back as if he punched me in the stomach. When I didn’t say anything, he turned back around to face me. I couldn’t look at him. I couldn’t let him see the tears that were falling from my eyes. When I finally calmed myself enough to speak, I kept my head down.

“I met him on the plane when I was coming back here. He was sitting beside me on the plane. He’s a medical malpractice attorney and he’s gay. Him and his boyfriend just moved to Lodi. I never mentioned the club to him. Yes, I met with him once since I’ve been back but only for lunch. I would never rat on you or the club, Jax.” I said.

“How do I know you’re not lying to cover your ass? That’s what the crow eaters do. They say exactly what you want to hear just so they can get you into bed.” He said.

Suddenly, I felt myself getting angry. Not once have I lied to him or held anything back. How dare he compare me to the crow eaters. I stood up straight and looked him in the eye.