Tale 5 Cheery Blossoms Andon

The first year of the Showa Era
Downtown Tokyo

My name is Chie Fukuda. When I was walking home from work, I passed a shop that gave off a very beautiful pink light. I saw a sign, No. 49 Gen'ei Antique Shop.

Out of curiosity, I enter the shop, I opened the door slowly when cold air pierced all over my body.

Cling!

Flap ... flap ... flap ... flap ...

I was surprised to hear the sound of a bird's wing-flapping from a dark room. I stepped closer, but this shop is a little dark, there no proper light, only a shadow of sunlight reflected from a closed window.

"Welcome to our shop, dear customers. What can I do for you?"

I was shocked when I heard a sound from inside the room. Shortly thereafter, a young man came out of the room.

He has bluish-black hair with and blue-greyish eyes. He wears a traditional grey kimono and a dark blue haori (kimono-style traditional jacket) over it. Very handsome young man. I seemed unable to take my eyes off him.

"Do you want to have something or throw away something?" He asked while staring at me sharply.

"Ah ... uh ..." I became embarrassed, "Ah!" I saw a pink andon on one of the shelves, "I was attracted by the light from this andon,"

"Is that so? The pink andon?" He asked coldly.

The andon is a lamp consisting of paper stretched over a frame of bamboo. The paper protected the flame from the wind. Burning oil in a ceramic holder, with a wick of cotton, provided the light.

"The light looks so beautiful from the outside," I nodded.

"Looks like the light can only be seen by you," he said as he took the andon off the shelf, "Do you have any bad habits that hard to leave behind?"

"Eh?" I confused, "Of course not," I chuckled.

Suddenly the andon flaming brightly. The pink color looks very beautiful. Like looking at the bright cheery blossoms tree on the moonlight night.

"Ahh! Does the light turn on by itself? Is there some kind of mechanism in it?" I asked, staring at the andon. I'm really excited.

"You can say it like that," he said while giving me the andon.

I watched the andon carefully. I don't get it what he was saying. But, I'm really attracted to this andon.

"Do you work in a fabric factory?" The young man asked.

"No. I work at the law firm's office," I smiled, when the andon glowing brightly again, "Oh, is glowing beautiful again," I chuckled happily.

"But, there are threads in your shirt," the young man said again.

"Oh, I just visited the tailor before coming here. I made a suit for work, " I smiled when the andon shines even brighter, "Can I have this andon?" I said happily.

"Of course. Antiques choose their owners. But, be careful that the lights from the andon swallow the other lights around you," he said.

"It doesn't matter, the light is very bright, look at how bright this shop," I said, looking around the shop.

"Brighter, huh? Very well. Don't forget that this light is just an illusion," he said in a cold tone.

I don't understand what actually he was saying. I need to leaving now before he changes his mind to sell this andon.