They Said They Would Find You

We called the police.

We tried to find you. 

We really did.

Gideon and Abraham wouldn't let me leave the cabin. They told me it would only get worse if I got lost too. I screamed at them. 

Then said I was sorry. 

Then I cried.

It took an hour for the police to show. Their lights lit up the outside.

Gideon dumped his alcohol before they showed up. He said they might think we did something. 

How could he say that? I would never do anything to you.

I caught Abraham praying when he thought no one was looking. He squeezed that golden cross around his neck until his knuckles were white. 

I'm pretty sure I saw him cry, but maybe I imagined it. Or maybe it was me that's crying again.

The police asked too many questions.

When did you last see him? 

Were you drinking? 

Did you hear anything before he went missing? 

What do you remember last? 

How was your relationship?

I told them everything. Of course, I did. I told them I brought you here, that it was my birthday, that this was my grandfather's cabin and how he died less than a month before.

I didn't tell them about the notebooks or the Creek or the wind. I didn't want to think about it.

Maybe I should have said something. But I couldn't.

They said you probably fell while we were walking.

The paramedics showed up after that. They took a look at all of us.

Why? They needed to be looking for you, not asking if I'm okay. I wouldn't be okay until they found you.

They said they would find you.

They said something about a search party. Something about looking for a body.

A body? No, you were be sitting somewhere waiting patiently. You were okay, and probably a little cold. But you were breathing and maybe you have a few bruises but you were alive.

I could hear the water from the Creek again. It ran through my veins and rushed to my ears.

It whispered something to me.

They said they would find you but they didn't. 

They stopped looking. 

Why would they stop looking? 

I begged them to go back, I told them you were out there alone and cold. 

You can have my jacket when you get back, remember when you used to take my clothes all the time? Remember when we were fifteen? Remember when you kissed me? Remember the funeral?

They can't find you I need you to tell me where you are.

They can't find you so I will.

I'll come back for you Ezra, but you have to wait for me.

I'm coming back.

Please wait.