Chapter 3 - My father hates him

Start from the beginning

His ears perked up as she said, "Since March, but my father hates him."

Natalie laughed. "Dr. Tim could never hate anyone."

Ella murmured, "He just turned thirty."

Shit, Joe thought. How could he compete with a sophisticated older man? His and Owen's apartment looked one step better than a dorm room. He could never compete. Face it, man, you have no chance.

"Joe?" He snapped out of his musing to the sound of her saying his name.

"Huh? Oh sorry, I worked last night, so I'm tired." It was true but not the reason he hadn't been paying attention.

"I just wanted to ask if we could meet someplace, so we could go into the staff meeting together."

He smiled and answered, "Yeah. I'll come to the music room."

She smiled directly at him and he smiled back. By the roll of Owen's eyes, Joe knew he looked like an idiot. The moment ended when Natalie quickly stood up.

"Hi Dr. Tim."

Everyone's heads turned and Joe saw a man walking toward their group. He said, "Ella, I was doing my headcount and you were missing."

Ella rolled her eyes. "Dad, you were not. You just wanted to come to talk to Natalie."

"You got me." His eyes went from Owen to Joe. "I don't think I've had the pleasure."

"Dad, this is Owen, Nat's boyfriend, and Joe. They both teach at the high school."

The doctor laughed. "Life in a small town, but you boys didn't grow up here did you?"

Joe spoke up. "No sir, we're from Massachusetts, the Berkshires."

"How did you find your way to Maine?"

Natalie said, "Owen followed a girl and Joe followed Owen."

He nodded and turned to leave. "Nice meeting you both." Abruptly he turned back. "Joe, you should meet my single daughter."

"Dad!"

Joe looked down at his lap, he could feel the heat traveling up into his cheeks.

Ella put her hand on his arm. "Don't mind him. He loves to embarrass me. He'll be over there trying to convince Ava to come meet you, but she's shy."

Joe thought her sister was smart and shy just like him, but he wanted witty and outgoing like the gorgeous woman in front of him. Once again, he was glad he had his towel on his lap.

He arrived at school bright and early. The first day was for staff only and started with a meeting intended to motivate everyone for the year ahead. The rest of the day was for getting ready for classes to start. Joe was in good shape, since he had been preparing the last few weeks. Owen, however, was stressed.

Joe stopped in his tracks when he entered the music room and saw Ella. She was wearing a colorful flowing dress with her long curly hair pinned up. He wished he could kiss her exposed neck. His mind was traveling down a slippery slope and he needed to get his footing.

Finding his voice, he croaked, "Are you ready?"

She nodded and together they walked to the auditorium.

As they took seats, he commented, "So Natalie mentioned you spent time on the stage."

She nodded, but was occupied looking at her phone and frowning.

He leaned over, just enough to take in her feminine scent of vanilla with an alluring musk, and whispered, "Is everything okay?"

She murmured. "Yeah, I thought I might have a text wishing me good luck."

Joe just nodded. Maybe mister thirty-year-old wasn't so perfect. If she was his, he'd be calling her to wish her good luck.

He leaned in again and whispered, "Good luck."

She looked up and her eyes met his. She stared for a moment and abruptly looked away. The moment was over and the meeting began.

Owen held out a beer to Joe and he shook his head. Owen sighed, "What no drinking on a school night?"

"Not before the first day of school, I want to be sharp."

"You want to be sharp for the music teacher. Jeez man, you've got it bad!"

Joe wanted to deny it, but he spent all summer admiring Ella from afar and Owen knew it.

"Too bad she's taken," Owen said, sympathetically.

"I don't know she didn't seem happy with the guy this morning. Besides her father liked me."

Owen laughed. "You are delusional."

"Hey, a guy can dream."

"Keep dreaming buddy. Keep dreaming."

Joe knew he was right, because a poor kid like him with a screwed up family was no match for Ella Burke.