➵ chapter ii

Neither the early rays of the sun shining on his face, nor the loud hollers that conquered the whole camp woke him up that morning. It was the gentle shoving what did, delicate hands holding onto his broad shoulders, shaking him ever so slightly.

With a loud groan, Arthur opened up one eye to see who dared disturb his precious sleep; his momentary anger dissipated as soon as he recognised (y/n) kneeling by his cot, her (e/c) eyes attentively staring down at his sleepy face. 

"Mister?" she called, shaking him once again. "I'm sorry, mister... But you have to wake up."

Arthur grumbled something as he sat up, not even he understood what came out of his mouth. He rubbed his face and eyes softly, finally waking up enough to focus his attention on the pretty girl kneeling by his makeshift bed. "What is it, miss?" he mumbled, taking in a deep breath as he stretched his arms.

He glanced up at her, and met her gaze yet again. She nervously fidgeted with the hem of her blouse as she stood, allowing her light brown skirt to hang nicely, and unwrinkled. "I've talked to Dutch, but he said I had to speak with you too," she said softly. Her brow creased quickly as she sent him an apologetic look. "I'm very sorry to wake you up this early, mister..."

"Ah, it's nothin'," he murmured as he rubbed his neck and stood up, allowing his legs to stretch as well. He had to look down at her in order to meet her gaze—he'd forgotten how short she was compared to him. The thought made him chuckle lowly, and said chuckle made her cheeks grow pink. "You wanted somethin'?"

At his words, she nodded her head, still holding that apologetic look in her beautiful (e/c) irises. "Yes, mister. I—"

"Arthur." He cut her off, causing (y/n) to look at him in slight confusion.

"... Huh?"

"Call me Arthur," he said simply, arching an eyebrow.

"... Right," she smiled slightly. That was the first time he saw her smile. "Arthur... I was wondering if you, well..." she paused, and glanced down at her hands as she thought. "I'd like to go back to my house."

Didn't seem that strange of a request to Arthur at first, until he remembered she had mentioned the O'Driscolls had burned it down before taking her to their camp. She had told them the day before a few times about her family being murdered, and her small farm being burned to the ground, destroyed.

"You talkin' about that house them O'Driscolls burned?" he inquired, and saw her sigh softly. "Why'd you wanna go back, miss?"

"(y/n)," a small smile tugged at her lips. "Call me (y/n)."

Arthur chuckled, and nodded. "Right."

"And yes," she immediately nodded her head, biting her lip. "I... I wanna know if there's anything left that I can take. Maybe they didn't burn everything..." she said hopefully, clasping her hands together as she looked up at him with pleading eyes. "Dutch said you could take me. I'll pay you," she added quickly. "I promise you'll be rewarded."

Arthur stared into her hypnotizing eyes as he pondered about her offer. He had no idea how she could possibly pay him for helping her retrieve her most likely burnt stuff from her farm, but he knew he couldn't say no to her. She'd lost everything to the O'Driscolls, and all she wanted was to get back whatever was left of her previous life—she deserved it, he thought. 

And he owed her that much.

He'd gotten word from Miss Grimshaw about (y/n) helping around camp while he was gone the day before; Tilly and the other girls helped her get acquainted with their routine and chores. She had helped them with the washing, the cooking, and guard duty as well, with Sadie. She'd done more in a day than Miss O'Shea and Uncle had in months—years. She had decided to stay and help, instead of asking them to take her to town to escape the outlaw life.

A sense of sympathy compelled Arthur to grant her this wish.

He readjusted his attire, and let out a small sigh. "A'right, (y/n)—I'll help you," he finally accepted. And that he did not regret. The wide smile that spread across her face was more than enough reward for him at that moment—he'd never seen a woman smile so genuinely before.

"Thank you so much, miste—Arthur!" she corrected herself mid-sentence, gesturing nervously with her hands. "I can't thank you enough! I... I could hug you right now!" she laughed softly, quietly—she didn't hug him, however. She allowed him to see her smile one more time before she turned around, and jogged toward the other side of camp, leaving him slightly dumbfounded on the spot.

He laughed through his nose, and shook his head as her words dawned on him. He chuckled at the thought of a woman like her hugging an outlaw like him—not a sight you see every day, that he knew. He bent down to pick up his hat, and put it on his head, then took his guns as well as his satchel while he was at it.

"So you accepted to take her to her house, I see," Dutch's voice reached his ears as he placed his guns on his belt.

Arthur glanced briefly at the gang leader, and arched an eyebrow. "Yeah," he shrugged his shoulders. "We owe her that much after havin' her helpin' 'round camp all day yesterday," he added.

Dutch sent him a knowing smirk. "You sure that's why you're helpin' her now?" he asked tauntingly. "She is really pretty."

"It ain't like that, Dutch!" Arthur grumbled out as he finally was ready to leave, and left Dutch standing alone by his cot, chuckling to himself.

"Whatever you say, Arthur!" he heard Dutch shouting back, but he dismissed the man's words.

As he strolled toward his loyal steed, Arthur caught sight of said girl coming out of a tent, Tilly's tent. She had a small satchel as well hanging from her shoulder, and in which she put her journal and pen, along with something else that Arthur didn't recognise. He did recognise the satchel, however: it was the same satchel she had been rescued with the day before. She readjusted her skirt a little, and her blouse, right before she stood, and glanced up at him. The small smile that she sent him let him know she was ready.

Arthur made it to his horse shortly after, and motioned her to come with him. She heeded his silent order without a second thought. After patting his horse's neck, and giving the animal a treat, Arthur put the saddle on her back, and prepped her for their trip.

"Good girl," he praised the steed as he patted her neck again, earning a happy neigh from her. And just then (y/n) stood by his side, ready as well. "Ready, ma'am?" He asked her, and chuckled softly at her eager nodding.

As he made sure he had everything he'd need in his satchel and saddlebag, Arthur sneaked a couple of glances at the pretty girl beside him; she was petting his horse's neck, soft-spoken words slipping past her lips as she caressed the animal ever so carefully. The horse neighed happily, much to the outlaw's surprise.

For a moment, just a short moment, Arthur allowed his mind to wander as he stared at the human being standing before him, his eyes trailed up and down her figure. He'd never had the chance to take a good look at her until then. 

At first, she had been just another poor soul they just happened to rescue accidentally from the O'Driscolls, like Miss Adler. They took her in, and she stayed. However, now Arthur finally had the chance to look at her—it was hard to keep his eyes off of her afterwards.

She stopped paying attention to his horse and finally met his gaze, sent him a small smile as she did so. "Shall we go now?" she tilted her head softly, looking at him inquisitively.

The head tilt, the smile, the way her eyes looked at him with that sparkle in them, it all made a shiver run up Arthur's spine—he couldn't help but agree with Dutch's words then; (y/n) was gorgeous.