Day 19: Close Call

Start from the beginning

It ticked Death off at the constant unreasonable replies he received. "So what?! They don't like me either! But they'll do what I say because I'm paying them to! I'M THE BOSS! And SO ARE YOU!" Jabbing a forefinger at the smaller one's face.

It seems to be the last straw as Geno finally snaps. Infuriated by the rude act and lack of compassion as his teary eye hardened and lips pulled to a tight grim. He slapped Death's hand and stood up on the couch; towering over the older skeleton as the blanket slips off his shoulders. "NO, I'M NOT!" Geno screamed back at Death, who seemed unfazed by the abrupt change of the smaller one's demeanor. Silently challenging the smaller one to prove his case.

"They don't see me at the same level as YOU!" Geno continued, letting out all of his pent up frustration. "They see me as something lower than them! Lower than dirt!" Despite the growing anger, there was a lingering sadness in his tone that Death seemed to have failed to notice.

"How can you tell?!" Death screamed at the top of his nonexistent lungs. Finally having enough of the baseless assumptions that the other one was making. " You haven't even met them yet! You haven't even talked to any of them! How can you tell?!"

"BECAUSE they've been calling ME A DISGUSTING SLUT! That I'M your FUCKING DIRTY LITTLE BITCH! THAT I'm a SHAMELESS GOLD DIGGING WHORE!". Geno burst out, followed by the magical tears freely flowing down his reddened, irritated cheek. His clenched fists trembled as he struggled to keep himself from completely breaking down.

Death was stunned to silence. His eyes wide and frozen on his spot. Temporarily paralyzed from shock upon hearing the disturbing fact. It's even more disturbing when those words came right out from Geno's mouth.

"What?" was the only thing Death can mutter at the moment. His brain seemingly had stopped working as he was unable to comprehend what the other had just said. And Geno wasn't done yet.

"They've been waiting for me to leave! Or DIE! They were betting on it! Every day, I can always hear them talking about me! How- *sniff* How I'm such a f-fucking dirty slut who's only hooking up with you because of your cash." Geno paused as he wiped his tears with his sleeves, hiccuping and sniffing for air occasionally. "Ever since I came to the mansion..." his voice trailed off. Sounding small, scared, tired and hurt.

Geno's knees buckled under him as he collapsed on the cushioned couch, feeling the overwhelming mix of emotions crashing down on him all at the same time. Silence overtook their surroundings, nothing but the sounds of Geno's heart-wrenching sobs and hiccups with sporadic coughing.

Death was still in a state of shock. Mouth agape and eyes wide. He didn't know. He turned his head to face Life, who was equally shocked as him.

Then turned his head towards the butler, who has been silent the whole time. When the young butler caught his boss' gaze, he frantically waves both of his hands in front of him and vigorously shook his head in a manner that conveys 'It wasn't me!' or 'I don't know anything!' or both.

Death looked back at the crying Geno, his shoulders sagging at the sight. "Why didn't you tell me?" his voice soft, caring and hurt.

"Be-because *hic* *sniff* because you're n-not there. *sniff*" Geno managed to say, then cough a bit after while wiping his continuously pouring tears.

More guilt weighted down on Death knowing that he wasn't there when Geno needed him.

"Geno, I know I don't spend much time with you but please understand that I have a whole city to look out for." Death reasoned, taking a step closer to the smaller skeleton. But didn't dare lay a hand on him knowing that Geno might still be angry at him. "I know I'm busy but I'm trying to make some time for you-".