Chapter 31

Chapter 31

December 4th

Nicole was still thinking of the night when Kahli was born as she waited at the front of Isabella's house for Riley to come and pick her up. Nicole couldn't believe how cute Kahli was and looking after her was proving to be hard work. She was already keeping Destiny on her toes and she was less than a day old.

"Okay, babe, where is it?" asked Riley after he wrapped his arm over Nicole and gave her a kiss.

Nicole was a little surprised. She must have been so wrapped up in her thoughts that she didn't hear Riley's car pull up.

"Where's what?" Nicole teased. She knew exactly what Riley was talking about.

"The foal, of course. Every second text I have got from you is telling me how cute it is and I have to see it."

With that, Nicole led Riley around the back to have a look at Kahli. It was clear that Isabella, Tasha and Adam were wondering why Riley was here and why Nicole came to look at Kahli again. Nicole didn't seem to care because what was the harm in looking at the extremely cute filly again?

"Well," said Riley, "it is smaller than I thought."

Nicole smiled.

"Wasn't it only born, like, last night?" asked Riley.

"Yeah."

"Then how can it be standing by itself and walking with no trouble? Doesn't it take time for babies to learn how to walk?"

"Foals aren't like human babies, Riley. In the wild, they can't afford to not be able to stand and run on their own. You know, it usually takes them an hour to be up and running around by themselves. And they can keep up with their mother."

"You sound like a textbook."

"Well, I have to if I am going to help look after her."

"So, what's it's name?"

"Kahli."

"Nice."

Nicole smiled again. She was glad that her boyfriend thought that Kahli was a nice foal and that Kahli was a nice name.

"Okay, babe, before we go, do you mind if I speak to Tasha?" asked Riley.

Nicole nodded, "that's okay. I'll wait in the car?"

Riley nodded and then Nicole made her way to the car, wondering what he needed to speak to Tasha about.

...

Tasha was liking watching Destiny and Kahli from her place on the fence. Kahli was already a little trouble maker from what Isabella and Nicole had said.

But Tasha was distracted from these thoughts when she saw Riley come over. Riley smiled his playful smile at Tasha as he normally did, and he held up his hand to high five her.

Tasha shook her head, "I think we are too old for that now," she said.

Riley laughed, "never," he replied, "how is your sister?"

"I think we have to talk about you first."

"Me?"

Tasha nodded, "I seem to remember some bad habit you used to have, which you gave up."

Riley looked at Tasha, "what about it?"

"It's come back."

"It has."