Chapter 16

Chapter 16

May 9th

Today, Nicole was eager to take the day off from studying and go on a date with Riley. Nicole was proud of herself because she had organized the date herself, but she hoped that Riley would go along with the first part.

The first part would be good in Nicole's opinion, but she was just worried about how Riley would feel about it. She had told Riley that she had set up a picnic, but she didn't tell him that they would be riding horses to get to it.

"You really like him, don't you, honey?" Mr Walker asked his daughter from his place on the couch.

Nicole smiled and nodded her head, "yes," she replied.

Mr Walker just nodded, "hmm."

"What?" asked Nicole, "you still don't like him, do you?"

"To tell you the truth, honey, I don't."

"Why? What has he done to you?"

"Nothing. But I did run into Amy last night," said Mr Walker.

Oh no.

Amy would have told him.

Nicole was sure that Amy would have told her father something that she didn't want him to hear; his little girl's boyfriend was a player. If this didn't ruin Nicole's relationship with her boyfriend, she didn't know what would.

Mr Walker looked up from the sheet of paper that he was reading, "she told me about Riley's past," he said.

Nicole lowered her eyes, not knowing what to say.

"It's true, then?" asked Mr Walker.

Nicole nodded and sat on the couch next to her dad, "it is," she replied, "but, dad, I can assure you he has changed."

"You know that for sure, do you, honey?" Mr Walker replied, Nicole clearly able to hear the doubtful tone in his voice.

"I do," Nicole was almost pleading with her father to believe her, "I really do."

"Hmm," Mr Walker said again.

"Dad, he told me that he loves me. He has never told this to any girl he has been with. I'm the first. I am the first girl he has ever loved."

"And you know that will change as soon as, well, you know."

Nicole knew exactly what her father was implying.

Riley would leave her after he eventually got her into bed with him.

Mr Walker was clearly saying that this was all a game to Riley and it was his way of tricking her to get her into bed with him.

Then he would dump her.

And break her heart.

But Nicole knew that Riley would never do that.

"He would never do that," said Nicole, "as I said, he loves me."

"If you say so," Mr Walker simply said.

"You will learn to trust him, dad. I know you will."

Mr Walker just nodded his head, not making eye contact with his daughter, and not knowing what he was going to say next.

And Nicole was about to say something more but she couldn't because there was a knock at the door. Nicole answered it and it wasn't long before she received a kiss to her life. She hoped that her father was not glaring at the couple with anger. She wanted him to stare with love and happiness and pride. She wanted him to be happy that his daughter had finally found someone who loved her.