The Key

"The corpus callosum is not only the largest white matter structure in the brain, but also the bridge connecting all parts of the brain to each other. That ability for all parts of the brain to communicate, and to work together, help us make leaps in cognitive thinking." Mrs. Finch explains to the class. I'm sitting in my usual seat next to Lydia by the window. I look out of the window when I hear a tow truck. I look to see a man towing a blue jeep parked outside. I tilt my head some. Why is he towing that jeep? Wait. Why do I care if he tows the Jeep or not?

"Any questions, thoughts, insight, Autumn?" I look up to see Mrs. Finch looking down at me.

I shake my head. "Oh, I agree."

"Is there something outside that's more fascinating than the structure of the human mind?" She asks me.

"I don't think so." I say lowly looking back outside. I shake my head. "No."

She nods her head before going back to teaching. I look over to see both Scott and Lydia looking at me. I shrug my shoulders at them before looking back outside. "Okay. Good. Now, many people credit the corpus callosum, uh, for giving us a sense of intuition, gut instinct, even we ourselves aren't aware..."

I see the man about to lift up the jeep. For some reason, I feel like I can't let him take it. I grab my bag and stand up out of my seat. "I'm sorry, I'll be right back."

I run out of the classroom, ignoring everyone's stares. I rush down the hallway and out of the doors. I run towards the parked jeep.

"Hey!" I yell at him, but he doesn't respond. "Hey! You can't tow this Jeep."

He looks up from his clipboard at me. He lets out a chuckle. "Paperwork says I can. It's reported as abandoned."

I roll my eyes before placing my hand on the jeep. "And now it's not."

"Oh, this is your vehicle?" He asks me unconvinced.

"Does it matter?" I roll my eyes.

He scoffs at me. "Sounds like a no."

All of a sudden, a body appears next to me while the other one thrown themselves onto the jeep. I look to see Scott leaning on the hood. Lydia is to my right.

"It's mine." Scott says. "Uh, my Jeep. Thank you. I'll move it. Once I get the keys from my locker. After you leave."

The man looks at the three of us. "I'm sorry, once it's on the hook..."

"Please don't say you're on the hook." Lydia says.

"Well, I can't now." He tells us. He turns away from us and towards the jeep.

"Come on man." I say making him look at me again. "There's gotta be something that we can do. Sign something? Call someone?"

"Pay someone?" Lydia adds.

He looks at her before smiling. "Drop fee's a hundred and fifty. Cash."

I place my book bag on the hood of the jeep while Lydia starts to dig in her purse. I pull a $20 out of my bag and hand it to Lydia.

"It's all I have." I whisper.

"It's okay." She winks at me. "I got you."

"A hundred and fifty?" Scott looks at us. "This thing isn't even worth that much."

"How much you got?" Lydia asks.

"Uh, how much have you got?" Scott asks back.

"Just give me your money." Lydia whispers harshly.