TWENTY FOUR: Estranged

Start from the beginning

"Thank you! Come on, you two!" Hawks; ever the merryman, kept his grip on me and latched his other hand upon Tokoyami's shoulders before dragging us inside. My legs didn't seem to want to work, and nostalgia began to crush me as I looked around the house.

Nothing's changed...

It was just as I remembered it. Large, pristine and beautiful; somewhere I never had a chance of fitting in. I may have only been young, but my memories were clear as crystal. Hawks' hand squeezed around mine, but I couldn't look at him. I was too busy being dragged down memory lane.

"Oh wow, it's Hawks!" A shrill voice announced loudly, and I cringed as people noticed us walking into the courtyard. My (E/C) eyes were peeled for the familiar couple I seldom wished to see, but they were nowhere in sight. The crowd gathered around us, and I forcefully yanked my hand away from my fiance.
"I'm...gonna go get something to drink..." I mumbled quickly; grabbing Tokoyami's wrist and pulling him off with me.

"I can imagine this entire ordeal must be incredibly overwhelming, (L/N). Let me know if there is anything I can do to help make you feel more at ease." The raven-headed student said gently, and I tightened my hold on him.
"Th..thanks...I'm just nervous, is all..." I mumbled as we came to a stop by the buffet table, next to the punch bowl. "Great...looks alcoholic...Fucking great..."

Why did I even agree to this..?

"I...might just go for a walk...clear my head..." I sighed as k finally released the boy's wrist. "I'll come find you in a bit, okay?" He nodded in understanding and I took my leave, rounding the table and heading off towards the vast garden. As a young girl, I would spend hours out there, walking with my parents and smelling the flowers, but that scent had turned bitter over the years, almost to the point of toxicity.

"Whoa, careful, Miss!" I froze mid step, startled by an urgent voice calling out. A younger boy, clad in a suit and tie, came dashing over and knelt down right where my foot was about to hit the gravel. "Sorry...You were about to step on this little guy!" I peered down and realised the kid was talking about a small garden snail.

"O..oh...sorry, I didn't notice the little fella..." I took a step back and watched him scoop the insect up and get back on his feet.
"That's okay, they're really easy to miss!" He gave me a soft smile.

He looks...so familiar...but I've never met him before...

"What are you doing so far away from the party..?" I questioned curiously, kind of following him as he took the snail to the garden bed. He shrugged his shoulders and let loose a soft sigh.
"I kind of get over having to smile and wave every second week at these things...so I sneak off when mother isn't looking." The boy gave me a closed eye smile, and as he did, my own, unborn child gave a small kick.

"I understand that feeling...My fiance cons me into tagging along to events like these all the time, too..." I chuckled lightly, trying to make it less obvious that I was studying the child's features. He had to have been at least ten or so, and his meticulously combed hair was almost the exact same shade as mine. The thought that was going through my head made me feel both nauseous and curious.

He can't be...

"How rude of me...My name is (L/N) (F/N), I'm here with Hawks! What should I call you..?" I clasped my hands together in front of my swollen stomach and he tilted his head curiously.
"Oh, he's supposed to be giving me a recommendation to UA when I'm older! Wow, that's weird...I'm a (L/N), too! (L/N) Suzu!"

He..he is...

There was no mistaking it now. The boy standing before me was no doubt my younger brother, whom I hadn't even considered would exist. It took all my power to keep myself composed, as I didn't want to scare the poor kid, nor did I really know how to handle such a situation.