9|| What Best Friends Do

ابدأ من البداية

"What the hell are you doing here?" she said between her teeth.

He ignored her, stuffed his phone in his pocket and turned her around. Before she had a chance to catch her footing, he lifted her tank top, taking in her back.

"Hey, get your hands off me!"

He twisted her again, his eyes scanning her arms, her chest, her bare legs since she only had on a pair of shorts. And then, he finally let out a deep breath. Christine gritted her teeth, realizing he'd been searching for bruises or finger marks. Did he even know Sam at all?

"Don't ever touch me again," she said, poking him in the chest. "Don't you dare lift my clothes."

Harry let out a short laugh. "It's not like there's something under there I haven't already seen before."

She slapped him hard across the face, but he barely moved. She should've hit his other cheek and take advantage of the bruise Sam had left there.

"Slap me all you want," he said with a shrug. "It doesn't make it less true. Doesn't change the fact that you liked it and kept coming back for me."

"Oh no, don't pin this on me. You're the one who kept crawling back."

He chose to ignore this detail. "Where's Sam?"

"I don't know." The words were out before she could filter whether she wanted him to know or not.

"I don't either," he said, his voice low. "I've been trying to call him, but his phone's switched off. Predictably enough. He's not at his house either."

Christine had considered the option too, but had been too scared to pass by the Grant house. At least now she had information, even if it was troubling because she assumed he would be there. Of course he could be at any of his brothers', but that didn't make things better since those places were definitely off limits. If only Angie would pick up her damn phone...

She rubbed her arms, suddenly feeling cold. Harry was right there, next to her, a furnace of heat, but she refused to give in.

"He's not going to forgive us, Chrsitine," Harry said quietly. "He had limits and we broke them. I was hoping..." He took in a big breath. "It doesn't matter what I was hoping. It is what it is. But now, we have the chance to build something new. Something clean."

Her mind had wondered while he spoke, but the last phrase shocked her back to attention. "What?"

He put his hands on her shoulders, his touch gentle as he came closer to her, the hope in his eyes disgusting. "I hated what we were doing to Sam. And I never liked sharing you. This sucks, but it's our chance to finally be together."

Christine could only stare, unable to believe the crap coming out of his mouth. She knew she was a good actress, but she'd never even insinuated that she was in it for more than sex.

"You're crazy," she whispered.

"Am I? Maybe you're the crazy one. I give you what you need, Christine. Attention, physical affection. You're everything to me. I love you and would treat you like a queen."

She stepped back, breaking out of his grip. "You love me?"

"Of course I love you. I've loved you from the first moment I saw you. Seeing you with Sam has been hell. And knowing he wasn't giving you what you needed... You weren't good for each other."

"And you think we are?" She let out a cruel laugh, but he wasn't getting the message.

"I do. Because I'm willing to dedicate myself to you. So come with me. Be with me."