CHAPTER 8 part 3 WHAT HAPPENED A Long Day Dream

Start from the beginning

He speaks English. The guy continues.

GUY (CONT'D)

(crying) "I was only trying to feed my dyeing wife. No one could protect her, and our children. I have no idea where they went. She probably passed away when I was in prison. She was really sick the last time I saw her."

Leith has heard enough.

LORD LEITH ERICKSON

"You may leave this city, stay here if you like, or you can try joining my army. Whatever, you desire. You're free."

The man falls to his knees. It's like a huge weight has been relieved from his shoulders.

LORD LEITH ERICKSON (CONT'D)

"Give him some food and new clothes. Send the next prisoner."

Elizabeth orders the teenagers to help the free-man. They bring him a bowl of soup.

The next prisoner comes up. He is dressed in nothing but rags.

LORD LEITH ERICKSON

"What have you done?"

He's skinny and one of his hands has been chopped off.

SKINNY MAN

"I raped my son."

Leith laughs when the man smiles. Leith suddenly stops laughing.

LORD LEITH ERICKSON

"Take him to the swordsmen."

Two workers grab him and bring him over to the swordsmen's circle. The skinny man fights for his life.

SKINNY MAN

"No... not that. I want a hanging. I didn't choose this."

LORD LEITH ERICKSON

"You sick son of a bitch."

Two other prisoners come up to the desk. They have a mysterious awe about them. They are human like. However, with no hair on their bodies and their pelts are dark green.

LORD LEITH ERICKSON (CONT'D)

"What the hell are you?

They don't answer. They stare at Leith for a few seconds.

LORD LEITH ERICKSON (CONT'D)

"You are given a chance like everyone else. What did you do?"

One of the green-men answers,

GREEN MAN

"We did nothing wrong. We were captured in the woods by your father."

The green-man has a strait plain tone. His voice doesn't have an accent. More like a computerized tone. Leith is surprised because none of the prisoners were told Cogan was his father.