↩ N I N E ↪

Edward would pay that favor back sooner than I thought. In more ways than one.

But the next day, his friendly demeanor was gone. While my friends and I all gushed over the beach trip and then the science trip the next day, but I managed to sneak a few glances towards Edwards table.

To find it empty?

Then I heard Mike and Tylers loud laughter barreling into the lunch room, and they were covered in snow.

"It's snowing?" I cheered excitedly as I raced after my friends outside.

Well, almost everyone. While Miss Arizona wasn't a fan of the snow, Miss Nevada missed the snow terribly.

As soon as I left the warm, safe haven of the cafeteria I was knocked breathless, in two ways. The first was when my eyes landed on Edward and his brothers. Specifically Edward, I'll admit. He was practically glowing as the snow fell around him. He had the biggest and brightest smile lit up across his impossibly perfect features and the white snow dusted the shoulders of his black jacket.

He looked like an angel.

The second time my breath was stolen was when Eric greeted me with a poorly thrown snowball directly into my face. My attention was swayed for a moment as I tossed a couple back his way, with the help of Mike.

Somewhere in the commotion I ran into someone very big, very cold, and very hard. I laughed as my back hit the ground. Make that three times the air was knocked out of me. The sun blinded me for a moment before a smiling face blocked my view.

"Sorry, little one."

Emmett Cullen. He reached a hand down and pulled me to my feet. My eyes immediately met those of his younger brother. He looked embarrassed but the amused smile hadn't fallen from his face just yet.

Before I even realized what was happening, Emmetts hand wrapped around my wrist, which suddenly felt very small, and tossed the snowball I was gripping full force at his brother.

"I'm so sorry!" I laughed.

"You're in for it, Aiya!" He yelled as Emmett ducked behind me.
______________________________________

I was surprised when Edward offered to walk with me to biology. Jess insisted on grabbing my bag with her first, and as soon as she started talking I knew why.

"I have never seen them interact with anyone but each other!" She whispered excitedly.

"Right? Another new girl and suddenly they've found someone to be interested in," Lauren gushed.

"I... Don't think they're-"

"I mean look at her though, who wouldn't be all over that?" Mike winked as he raced off to class.

A chorus of ews and gross chorused amongst us.

"Really. I just think they were happy to be in the snow with everyone," I protested but they continue to throw flirty glances my way as Edward waited for me.

"They're half-right, I suppose." Edward mused as he held the door open.

"About?"

"My family, we mostly keep to ourselves. But Emmett and Alice have seemed to taken a liking to you," he seemed lost in thought.

"Well, I'm just glad everyone is so friendly here," I shrugged.

"Everyone?" He raised an eyebrow, "I was under the impression you thought I was rude."

"Only sometimes. But I would be cranky too if I only ever talked to my brother." I smiled up at him, "Joking."

"Perhaps you should listen to your gut, Aiya," he spoke quietly, quickly.

He had grown serious.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I was taken back but the mood shift.

"I think it would be better if we weren't friends. See," he looked around as we stopped outside the classroom door, "My family. We keep to ourselves for a reason."

I thought over what he was saying, but it was only confusing me. I nodded, none the less, and shot him an awkward thumbs up.

"Roger that," I muttered as I took my seat.

Maybe he wasn't just a cranky teenage boy. It seemed like he was actually suffering from some extreme mood changes. I pondered whether he was bipolar or extremely lacking in Vitamin D, but my head told me the answer was both. That friendly exchange outside had vanished almost instantly and I was instead left with the first Edward Cullen I had been introduced to - one who hated me.

Only I couldn't figure out why.