27. progress & excitements

Start from the beginning

I closed my eyes and groaned inwardly. Remembering not to be a jerk, I turned around. "Hey River," I greeted in the most cheery tone.

I couldn't explain how I felt standing right in front of the guy I couldn't stop thinking about. The one who'd caught my eye from the first time I saw him. The one who'd kissed someone else. I missed looking at his beautiful eyes. Missed being this close to him but I couldn't show it.

While I'd sounded cheery, River looked at me. He looked different.  Nothing had physically changed about him but he looks different. Not so much a good different but what could I do?

"What's up?" I asked and he looked like he was struggling with words until he said, "Hey... I uh, I've been meaning to talk to you. Not over call or text, but actually talk to you. It feels like you've been avoiding me. Now, I totally won't blame you if you are, but Renée, about that Friday—"

"No, River. I'm over it."

It was a small lie, but this was me taking Tanner's advice right now. I shouldn't put myself in a place to be hurt.

River face masked surprise, "What do you mean you're over it?"

"It means... I'm over it," I shrugged.

"I don't want you to be over it," he said sharply then sighed in frustration, running a hand through his hair and said softly now, "I mean, I do want you yo be over it, but I need to explain—"

"What exactly is there to explain?" I retorted softly as well, "You have a girlfriend—"

"That's the—"

"Look, there's no point being mad or upset. Yes, I was, but not anymore. You have someone, River and now, I respect that. What this all meant for me was to stop being so upset about it and now be with someone who feels the same way and wants to be with me."

At the last part, his expression changed drastically.

Yes!

The last part had triggered him. That was one of the goals, right? Seeing that had got him, I proceeded to add, "He'll come along. So, don't worry about me, River."

And the actual look of jealousy in his eyes flashed.

Oh yeah.

*****

"Rae, that's great! Now imagine the look on his face when I show up at the bakery." Kaleb said the moment I told him what had happened with River.

"Oh my God, I know!" I said in excitement.

I felt bad for doing this but I couldn't deny that after what happened the day before, I started feeling more confident and even excited. Kaleb had been right when he said this step was the most interesting. I couldn't wait for Monday.

*****

"Can you follow me to Woodley and Bunny after work, please?" Marnie asked me on Monday while we worked. "I need to get some hair supplies."

"Woodley and Bunny? No way! I heard they've got expensive stuff."

Marnie chuckled, "So, you won't come with me?"

"Yeah, I will!" I said in excitement. "I said no way because I've never been there."

"Well, my cousin works there so I'm able to get cheap stuff once in a while."

"That's so cool." I playfully rolled my eyes.

"I know," she chuckled. "I'll go ask Sky if we could get off now so you don't get home late."

"Okay," I nodded.

Minutes later, I was preparing to leave work when River walked up to the counter.
"Hey," he greeted.

I smiled widely, "Hi."

"How's work going?"

"Ah, it's good. I'm about to get off, but do you want something?"

I watched him swallow, "Actually uh, do you want to hang out tomorrow? My uh, sister wants to hang out."

I was confused. His sister? The last time I met his sister, she didn't even reply to my greeting.

"Your sister?" I asked, still confused.

River nodded, "Yeah."

I saw it all now. This was his way of asking me to actually hang out with him.

"I know it's crazy, but she really wants to hang out."

Oh he meant, I really want to hang out.

I let out a breath and answered, "I'm sorry, but I'll be busy tomorrow."

"Is it work? I could help talk to Skylar, if you don't mind." He said hastily.

"No," I shook my head. "It's not work. I just have stuff to do."

It was the first time I'd seen him look beyond disappointed. He tried to speak, but he just nodded and left.

Throughout the ride to Woodley and Bunny with Marnie, I felt terrible. Why? I didn't know. I mean, obviously, his sister wasn't the one who wanted to hang out, he did. But the look in his eyes said something else.

Ugh. I hated this.

Arriving at Woodley and Bunny, me and Marnie got down from the taxi and I marveled at the sight of the shop. It was beautiful, but the interior was even more beautiful and all the products screamed money. There were only about three people in the shop.  A man and woman I assumed were a couple, and a lady by the counter with levelled shoulder length black hair that reminded me of Khloe Kardashian. She was dressed simply but stylishly just from the view of her back.

While Marnie spoke to her cousin, I checked out the products in the shop. Dang, I would have to cry lemonade to Tanner if at all I wanted him to get me any of these, not because he wouldn't be able to afford it, but the prices were way too ridiculous. But I knew the products will work wonders for hair so it would be worth it.

I was a bit late by the time I turned to look at the lady who had been standing by the counter. She had now made her way out of the shop and was getting into her car.

I froze.

Was that Zee?

Was that really Zee?
Do you think River is the one who really wants to hang out?

Let me know what you think!

Guys, I'm starting to feel like I'm in Through The Dark
The thought of going to university has always excited me but two days to go and I'm a crying mess.
Send in all the sprite and chocolates!

Don't forget to vote, comment and follow me!