Canary in a Mine

Things went into lockdown quickly.

"That's what happens when you kill the ship's captain Lance."

"Shut up Keith." Lance stood glaring at his feet. Keith's ghost stuck with him but wouldn't leave him alone. Worse, Lance expected Shiro's ghost to join them and chide him for what he'd done wrong, but only Keith was there and, in all honesty, seeing Keith didn't make him feel guilty at all.

"Allura wouldn't like what you're doing Lance."

"It's to save her," Lance muttered.

"Do you really think she'd want to be saved this way?"

"What would you know?" Keith said this more than once. "She picked me, not you."

"I know."

"Then stop trying to steal her and pretend you would know how she feels!"

Lance looked up just in time to see Kolivan passing by. The leader of the blades looked at him through narrowed eyes, almost as if he suspected something. Lance swallowed and turned his head away while Kolivan continued down the corridor to wherever he was headed. This, unfortunately, meant looking Keith in the eye. Keith spoke in a whisper despite the fact Lance was the only person who could hear him. "You aren't going to kill him next are you?"

"No." Lance let out a chuckle. "Kolivan is far from corrupt. Even Allura knew that because she trusted him despite the fact he's Galra." He watched Keith narrow his eyes. "What?"

"Allura didn't trust him right away. She hated all Galra."

Lance let out a snort. "What? Are we to believe she stopped hating Galra because of you."

"No. She stopped hating all Galra because she realized it was the heart of the person that matters."

"Yeah right."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"If she cared about the heart of the person, she and I would have dated a lot sooner. It took her time to realize I was a decent person."

"What you say doesn't make sense?"

"A lot of things don't make sense to you Keith."

"Your right. This idea of killing people to bring Allura back doesn't make sense to me."

"It's proof you don't love her as I do."

"And then there's that."

"And what else?"

"The fact something feels off. Time flow feels off for example."

"Keith, can I remind you that you're a ghost?"

"And?"

"Time flow will feel off for a ghost."

"Oh. So, time flow doesn't feel off for you?"

Lance decided at that point to ignore Keith and walked in the opposite direction than Kolivan headed as he didn't want to run into him. Instead, he found himself running into Pidge. The green paladin let out a sniff as she looked out at the stars. Lance shoved his hands into his pants pocket. The knife was now in his pocket as he found a way to change the shape to his convenience, but he couldn't remember when or how that happened. "What's the matter?"

"First Allura, then Keith and Shiro."

Lance sighed and leaned against the pained glass. "Who cares."

"What..." Pidge's voice trembled.

Keith let out a sigh. "Lance, be nice. Don't make Pidge cry."