blue eyes

I woke up this morning with a headache. I felt like a million little thumbtacks were poking my brain and wouldn't stop. I had taken three Advil's, each at two-hundred milligrams, and they weren't working.
Last week was stressful, I finally got Skinny Love right, which was an A plus. The minus was debating on if a radio ration was going to play my song. Mr. Oden stressed about that more than I did. It had been out for less than seventy-two hours and we've yet to hear it.

He said I shouldn't doubt myself and to just keep pushing forward, and so I did. Everyday since I got signed I've been at the studio, but today was the day I tried to create another song. I'd find out who my band was, they'd help me create more music, and I'd just be the genius behind the words.

I didn't know what to expect, Mr. Oden told me last week he wanted me to write at least two songs so we can start working on an EP or maybe even an album. I had no inspiration, it was so hard to just put a bunch of words together that sound good.

I walked into the building, greeted by the receptionist. I learned her name was Bridgette, had two kids and no husband. She was nice, though.

"Have a nice day, Ms. Styles!" She smiled.

"You too, Bridge." I smiled back at her, making my way to the elevator.

The elevator was quiet, since I was alone. I made it to the 7th floor, where the recording studio is. I walked into the dark room, setting down my bag. Opening the bag, I yanked out the small notebook I had, ready to write a song. I flipped through the pages, opening it.

I read over what I had in it, not liking any of it. I sighed, walking over to the keyboard they had in the room. I yanked out the chair from under it, set my self on the chair.

The keyboard was new, it looked like an actual piano with the pedal and place for my music sheets, except definitely electronic. I turned it on and warmed up my fingers.

"Melina? Love, I'm so glad your here!" Mr. Oden rushed in the room, setting down a manila folder.

"Yes sir." I turned over in the chair to face him completely.

"Okay, okay, great. I've got big news." He smiles.

The door opened again and Mr. Carter walked in with Piper and two unfamiliar people came along with him. Two boys and Piper.

Great.

"Melina, this is your band!" Mr. Carter smiled.

I sighed, "It's very nice to meet you!" I walked over to them to shake their hand.

"This here is Jimmy, he's going to play the guitar for you." Mr. Carter introduced him, then came along Andrew, he was the bassist. Piper was the last to be introduced, but I had already knew who she was.

I hadn't spoken to her or gone to her class in a full week. I know I'm now over exaggerating about the Sign of The Times shit, but oh well. I'm still hurt over it.

She was going to be my keyboardist.

I quickly noticed I didn't have a drummer, but I hadn't mentioned it to them. We all carried on a conversation for a while, talking about music we all liked.

Out of the corner of my eyes I saw Andrew looking over at me. He was tall, blonde and had blue eyes.

What's with everyone and their blue eyes around here. I'm the only person in this room that has green ones. Everyone's either brown or blue.

He smiled at me, giving me a wave. I returned the favor, because one I didn't want to be rude and he was cute.

I'm a 17 year old girl that has feelings too, so why not.

We were ripped from our conversation when Piper asked a dumb question.

"Where's Rein?" Piper asked Mr. Carter, who looked upset for her asking that question.

Why does Rein need to be here? Why is she even asking?

"He should've been here by now." Mr. Carter looked down at his watched and huffed.

"Why would Rein need to be here?" I asked. I was curious now, that bot just seems to keep coming around.

"He's supposed to be your drummer, but if he shows up any later I might just change my mind." Mr. Carter answered me, walking over to a chair to sit down. "We can't get started without him here."

"Oh."

Great now the guy who joined in on Sign of the Times and told me to snort my pills was going to be with me all the time now.

"Let's see what you've got Melina, do you have anything new for us?" Mr. Oden asked me, sitting right next to Mr. Carter.

"I've been working on a new song, sir. I have an accompaniment for it as well." I answered him.

"Show us and the band what talent you've got love." He smiled, grabbing some papers out of the manila folder.

"O-okay." I stuttered. I walked over to the keyboard-piano instrument in the room, turned it back on and got myself situated.

I started the melody, slowly. Closed my eyes and let the song was over me.

"God knows what is hiding in those weak and drunken hearts." I sang, keeping time with my foot and pedal.

"I guess you kissed the girls and made them cry, those Hardfaced Queens of misadventure. God knows what is hiding in those weak and sunken eyes.

A fiery thong of muted angels, giving love but getting nothing back.

People help the people and if you're homesick give me you hand and I will hold it.

People help the people, and nothing will drag you down.

Oh and If I had a brain, oh and if I had a brain, I'd be cold as a stone and rich as the fool that turned all those good hearts away."

I roughly finished the beginning of the song, turning over in the chair. Everyone was smiling at me, giving me an applause and 'wow's'.

"What do you think?" I asked, holding in a breath.

" You never fail to amaze me, darling." Mr. Oden smiled, writing thing on the paper.

Slow clapping came from the corner of the room, making all of our heads turn.

"What exactly do you mean 'If I had a brain.'"

There's those blue eyes again, piercing at me.