skinny love

(a/n the dress i pictures her wearing looks something similar to that! it's not exactly the one i thought of but it's the best one i could find. xo)

It's a beautiful Tuesday morning. The sun is peeking out through my purple curtains and the smell of fresh baked biscuits was flowing through my senses.

I rose from my bed, the soft rug I have on my wooden floor gives the most amazing feeling against my feet. I wiggle my toes and smile.

Today's the big day.

Two weeks had passed since I was interviewed at the record company. I spent these two weeks mastering 'Skinny Love' by Bon Iver.

A fucking classic.

I decided to take my own spin on the amazing song, slowing it down much more than the original. My mom said if I slowed it down, playing only the piano, I could put so much more passion into the song. Before trying to play it on my own, my mom played it for me first and I tried to match the key correctly. I then attempted to play it and sing it at the same time. It took me 37 tries to finally get it right, and thankfully, I fucking mastered it. The melody of the piano and how soft my voice fits with the song sounds so beautiful put together.

I'm nervous. More than I have ever been in my entire life. That's considering this isn't the first time I've "auditioned" for a record label. Most of the other interviews weren't how 'Colassal' had them. They'd just ask to submit a video of you performing or a song you wrote and they'd let you know if they wanted to sign you. Each record company I tried always said that I "sang beautifully" but didn't know if I was what they were looking for. I don't have a bad feeling about this one, even though I'm nervous, Im pretty confident this time.

The clock says 11:00 and I have to be at the record company no later than 2, so I take advantage of my time to start getting myself dressed.

I turn on the light in my bathroom and let out a huff. My curls are all over the place, chunks of the curls are tangled and my hair is sticking out in certain places. I grabbed a brush and detangling spray and get to work. I start off in sections, piece by piece I brush out the nots in my curls. After a painful 20 minutes, I'm satisfied with what my hair looks like. I grab a little bit from the left side and twist my hair, securing it with a bobby pin.

I kept my makeup minimal, since I hardly even wear any at all. Walking over to my closet, I picked out a few options and laid them out on my bed. "Hmm." I thought, biting on the nail of my thumb. I grabbed every single outfit choice, held it against my body and looked in the mirror before deciding on the one I thought looked best. I went with a pink button up dress, that went just below my knees and paired it with brown combat boots.

"Perfect." I smiled 

At the end of my staircase, Versace my english bulldog, rolled onto her back waiting for me to pet her. "Good girl." I tickled her large belly and smiled.

"Are you ready baby-girl?" My mom came from behind me and gave me a small hug.

"Ready as can be." I huffed, giving her a little smirk.

"Are you nervous? Don't be. You're gonna go amazing, if they don't take you, screw them!" She practically yelled. "Remember what I told you, mama made it and so can you."

-.-.-

"It's great to see y'all again!"Mr. Oden lead us into a recording studio. "I'm really excited to hear what you've brought for us today."

"It's great to see you!" I cheered, walking along with him.

"We've been told, by your mother, that you're going to play the piano and sing a song for us, is that correct?" He said while we reached a room that was named 'Studio A'

"Yes sir."

We walked into another room that connected to the recording studio, the only thing that separated us was a glass screen for the other side. We weren't alone this time, he brought along other people that I'm assuming work for this record company. Pretty big names.

"Melina, go ahead and get your self situated. When you are ready, take us away." He smiled, taking a seat in the chair that sits right in front of the glass screen.

Just breathe, I looked down at the grand piano in front of me. My palms started to get sweaty, and for some reason I felt like the room was getting hot.

My mother, who was standing behind Mr. Oden, shot me a thumbs up and mouthed an "I love you."

"I love you, mom. This is all for you." I thought to myself.

Taking a seat, I pulled the mic down that was above me. It was just a little too high for my likings.

You got this, kick some ass.

"Hello, my name is Melina Jay Styles. Today I will be performing my own rendition of 'Skinny Love' by Bon Iver. I hope you enjoy!" 

I took another long breath I didn't know I was holding, and began. The second the melody washed over me, I knew I had it.

"Come on skinny love just last the year
Pour a little salt we were never here
My, my, my, my, my, my, my, my
Staring at the sink of blood and crushed veneer

I tell my love to wreck it all
Cut out all the ropes and let me fall
My, my, my, my, my, my, my, my
Right in the moment this order's tall

And I told you to be patient
And I told you to be fine
And I told you to be balanced
And I told you to be kind
And in the morning I'll be with you
But it will be a different "kind"
I'll be holding all the tickets
And you'll be owning all the fines

Come on skinny love what happened here
Suckle on the hope in light brassiere
My, my, my, my, my, my, my, my
Sullen load is full; so slow on the split

And I told you to be patient
And I told you to be fine
And I told you to be balanced
And I told you to be kind
And now all your love is wasted?
Then who the hell was I?

Now I'm breaking at the britches
And at the end of all your lines
Who will love you?
Who will fight?
Who will fall far behind?
Ooh, ooh"

I finished the last note and the first thing I did was look at my mother, who had the proudest smile a parent could have. A sense of relief took over, letting me calm down.

"Wow, Ms. Styles." Mr. Oden smiled like the cheshire cat, claps were being applauded to me by everyone in that room. "That was amazing."

"Thank you." Relief

"You have talent, love. You're going to be a big star someday." He stood up, pressing the button to talk into his microphone. Then I heard words that I'd been waiting to hear for the past 2 years. "What do you say, Will you be Colossal Records newest star, Ms. Styles?"

••

- HEHEHE this was fun
- i'm a horrible writer i know but :/
- thanks for reading! please vote and comment (:

all the love, J <3