Chapter Ten

Niall

Isolde, Darren, and I were downstairs listening to the loud ruckus  going on upstairs with matching troubled expressions. Darren was nervously pacing around the kitchen, sitting down and then stand back up again a few seconds later. Iz watched him with concern and the sound of the door opened, and she grabbed Darren to push him behind her. It was Louis and Anna.

“Louis!” Darren shouted, and Louis didn’t say anything but ran upstairs with super human speed. We all stared at his fleeing figure, and then turn to look at Anna.

“We decided to come home a little early to surprise you guys, but looks like you had other things going on.” Anna says, her tone has an amused quality to it.

“Li and I were kidnapped.” Darren provided, and Isolde scowled at him. He looked at his mother and shrugged and she rolled her eyes. Anna looked in the direction of the upstairs before slowly ascending the stairs after her husband.

“And then there were three.” Darren says, and I nod. I watched as he began his pacing again, and I sighed. We sat in silence for a time before Isolde spoke.

“Are you hungry, boys?” She says with false cheeriness, standing up and busing herself in the kitchen. Darren nodded his head, and stood to follow her. He was healing nicely but still had a dark bruise on his face under his left eye. She heated up some leftovers and handed the plate to Darren who slunk away from the dining room and went to sit in front of the television and for once Isolde didn’t argue.

“I was thinking of something you once told me.” Isolde tells me, dragging me closer to her to where I still have to strain to hear her.

“Yeah?” I ask, curiously. I wasn’t really sure where she was going with this, but I waited for her to explain.

“Remember that night years ago when those vampires kidnapped us?” She says, weakly and I flinch. I didn’t want to remember anything from that night.

“Yes.” I said, waving my hand to gesture for her to keep talking.

“You told me that never before had a Child of the Moon mated to a human.” Isolde says, impatiently and I look at her in shock. I do remember that, and those we my words.

“What are you implying?” I says, and Isolde rolls her eyes. She leans back in her seat to look at Darren to make sure he isn’t eavesdropping then leans towards me.

“She isn’t human. What are the odds that Liam happens to mate to the first human ever. Hunters are human, strong, skilled, and aware of the supernatural, but they are still humans.” Isolde points out, and I mull over what she is saying.

Is there a chance that this the hunters daughter is not human, but one of us? “She isn’t a Child we would have been able to smell it.” I point out, and she sighs.

“What if she isn’t one? Children of the Moon aren’t the only thing that go bump in the night.” Isolde points out, and I nod.

How is Liam? I ask Zayn, and he doesn’t answer right away.

Still struggling. He grunts back, and I sigh out loud. Isolde raises her eyebrows at me. “Liam is still going feral.” I tell her, and she sighs softly.

“Ask him what Eve looks like.” Isolde demands, and I nod.

Sweetheart? What does the girl look like? I ask my mate.

I don’t know. I’m trying to keep my best friend from biting and scratching me. Zayn yells at me, and I flinch. I knew he didn’t mean it, but it still hurt. Shit, Ni, I’m so sor- I cut him out of my mind.

“Maybe you can calm him down.” I randomly say, and Isolde looks at me like I’m an idiot.

“What?” She says, in a tone that suggest that I am not a wise advisor that I once was. I sigh and run my hands through my hair in a frustrated manner. “Liam isn’t listening to Harry, why would he listen to me?” She asks, but now she sounds curious.

“You’re the leader of all Child. Maybe he won’t listen to his Alpha, but he might listen to the Queen.” I tell her, shrugging my shoulder.

“If I take one step out of the living room Harry will freak out.” She points out, and I have to agree with her. Harry wouldn’t let her never danger, even though time and time again she had proven that she isn’t one to be messed with.

Eve

            I was running down a long hallway after something that I couldn’t seem to catch. I was laughing but I was beginning to panic.

            “Run faster, Eve.” I heard, and I turned to see the guy from the frozen yogurt place.

            “I need to stop calling you frozen yogurt guy.” I tell him, and he laughs and his whole body shakes with delight. He turns and runs, and a passing glance.

            “Run faster if you want to catch me!” He calls, and he is off. I run after him, but my side hurts and I fall.

            “Liam!” I call, but he is gone. I sink to the ground, and I can make out the outline of a figure standing in front of me. I look up and I recognize it as my mother.

            “Mother!” I call, a mix tone of delight and pain. She reaches down to grab my hand and pulls me up. I stand up, but I still slouch over from the pain.

            “The rules are being broken, Evelynn.” My mother tells me, and I look her with curiosity.

            “You are dead.” I point out. My mother looks at me with fondness before replying.

            “So are you, child.”