chapter thirteen. sleep deprived

Start from the beginning

Her mother was going to be killed one day because of the games she played with some of the most powerful people in the world. Lorraine was going to get Delphine killed. She was going to get Andi killed. Why couldn't they just be normal, Andi thought. She looked into the rearview mirror and wiped away a single tear that managed to escape.

"Did you really steal a car when you were twelve?" a voice said from beside her.

Andi jumped, turning in her seat to see Marcus sitting in the passenger seat. What the hell? Glancing back into the mirror, she saw she was back to her teenage self. Her frustration towards her mother fueled her as she turned back to the Latino teen next to her.

He gave her a crooked smile, which she returned. "Yeah," Andi answered. "Wanna help me do it again?"

She started the car and peeled out of the long driveway that set their country home off the road. The windows rolled down, whipping her hair around her face. The anger and frustration towards her mother disappeared. It was replaced with a sense of freedom she could not even describe.

Marcus laughed beside her as she let out a loud "Wooo!"

Their fun was cut short when red and blue lights lit up their back windshield. "Fuck," the blonde cursed, her and Marcus looking back over their shoulders. The police were right on their tail and Andi had to do something fast.

The blonde made a few sharp maneuvers to try to lose them. Her efforts failed, however. "Shit, Marcus, we gotta get you out of here," she said as she looked at the lights in her rearview mirror.

"Who's Marcus?"

Andi snapped her head to the passenger's seat so quickly, she thought she would have whiplash. Instead of the cute new kid from school, Abaddon sat next to her.

She had so many things she wanted to yell at him. She wanted to curse him and forcibly shove him from the moving vehicle. But she froze. All she could do was stare at him with wide eyes as her breathing became more labored. Her chest began to feel tight as if a boa constrictor was squeezing the life from her.

Then, there was a crash, and it was all gone.

***

Andi jolted awake from the roller coaster of a dream she just experienced. She wondered what the hell brought it all on. The blonde told Marcus the story of her stealing her mother's car, maybe that just brought up the other bad memories that came with it. It seemed like every good memory she had was tainted somehow.

It also could have something to do with her seeing her mom. Well, she was not completely sure it was her. She has a decent amount of drugs and alcohol in her system at the time. Why would her mother be there anyway? The blonde had not seen her in years and suddenly she cares to pop in for a visit. If Lorraine Broughton was in San Francisco, it did not bode well for Andi.

Forgetting the dream for a moment, the blonde went about getting ready for the day. Today was the start of hazing week for the Rats as the Legacy dance was Friday. She never really participated in hazing week in the past. It seemed rather pointless to her. Her efforts in bitchcraft were much better spent harassing the other legacies when they annoyed the shit out of her anyway. The rats already generally kept their distance and respected her space. Why harass them for leaving her be?

Exiting her room after she finished getting ready, Andi made her way to her locker. As she was grabbing her materials for her first few classes, Simon met up with her.

"How come you look so much better than I do?"

"Good genes," she joked. "But, thanks, I guess." Simon rolled his eyes.