chapter three. asserting dominance

***

***

"i don't know"

***

Marcus did not understand why he took this girl's hand. She came to the top of Coit Tower, following him yet again, only to make him feel like complete shit before giving him another chance to take Master Lin's offer. She obviously didn't care about him or if he jumped, so why was she so adamant about him coming back with her instead of letting him end it all?

The conversation on top of the tower only served as a stark contrast to their previous one-on-one encounter. She had been so playful then, her black humor about the chips seemed less humorous now that he had an idea of what she was truly capable of.

But, for some reason when she stood out on that ledge with him, he did not feel alone for the first time since his parents were killed. As he looked into her steely blue eyes, he saw a twinkle of something. Not the mischief he once saw, more like she was mirroring his own emotions of desperation and grief.

She released his hand and the two made their way back down the tower and to the motorcycle waiting for them. "I never did get your name," Marcus mentioned as he climbed on behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist.

"Andi," she answered curtly. Starting up the bike, she looked back at him and for the first time that night, she did something that reminded him of the girl who gave him the bag of chips; she gave him a small smirk. "Hold on."

Gunning it, the bike took off and instinctively Marcus tightened his hold on the blonde's waist. Andi's waist, he corrected in his mind, now having a name for the face. Not too long after, Andi parked the bike down the street from the butcher shop. It had started to rain on the way, the cool water soaking through their clothes.

Andi took it upon herself to give him a basic rundown as they approached the butcher shop. She continued to lead the way but stopped when the Asian girl from earlier stood in front of them. "You stole my bike," the other girl stated.

"'Stole' is a strong word, Saya. I brought it back, didn't I? I believe that's called 'borrowing.'" Andi replied.

"Did you ask to use it?" Saya retorted.

"Well, no..."

"Then you stole it," Saya cut her off.

Andi simply shrugged in response, walking ahead of the two. "Whatever. You can finish the whole spiel if you want."

Saya rolled her eyes at the blonde before walking after her. Marcus was quick to follow the two. "Master Lin has a basic code of conduct. There is one thing you cannot do. Give up our location, and we will kill you."

They entered the butcher shop, the green-haired kid from earlier standing at the door.

"Like, full-on 'Conan the Barbarian' style. Like, you will be eviscerated. Lin's family has been eviscerating people for centuries. They really love it," he told Marcus.