18. Moonlight

CHLOE

Beca basically ran to the beach that was just behind her apartment. I had an idea as to what she wanted to do. "Beca are you insane?" Jesse asked. Beca just smiled at him and continue to take off her flannel and shoes. She was still in her tank top an shorts.

"Maybe but aren't we all a little insane? C'mon Jesse. Be crazy with me." She said grabbing his hands. She eventually convinced him. He sighed and took off his shirt. The Bellas and I followed suit. All of us in variations of tank tops, t-shirts, and shorts. Except for Stacy. She was just in her bra and underwear. We followed Beca into the water laughing. This was absolutely insane. Beca splashed me. I splashed her back and the next thing you know we are all in a water fight. That was until Jesse picked Beca up and dunked her.

"Dude!" She yelled when she came back up. Jesse laughed. Beca was smiling. She was in love with him. You knew that. You knew she loved him. That's why she kept going back. We swam for a little while longer after that we all went at sat on the sand. Jesse whispered something to Beca to which she nodded before Jesse ran into the apartment. I keep saying apartment because that's what Beca calls it. It's basically a mini house. Beca moved to sit closer to me. She rested her head on my shoulder.

"Thank you," she said.

"For what?"

"Coming."

"Where else would I be?" I laughed.

"Home? With Chicago? Petting a dog?"

"As much fun as all of those sound, this was better." She smiled. The moon hitting her pale skin basically making her glow. She was gorgeous. A vampire. But gorgeous.

BECA

Jesse brought us towels and blankets and built a fire. I rested my head on his chest. Him playing with my wet hair. "So Beca, do you still hate your birthday?" he asked. The Bellas turned to look at me.

"Yes." The Bellas all seemed disappointed, "But, today wasn't that bad." I smiled and so did the Bellas. We sat there for a while. Emily ended up falling asleep on Chloe. Jessica and Ashley were half asleep on each other. I was tired myself but after last night I had no intention of sleeping.

"Do you want to put out the fire and I'll go find sleeping stuff for the Bellas?" Jesse asked. I nodded and he and most of the Bellas got up to go into the apartment. Chloe, Aubrey, and Emily stayed behind. I watched the dying flames reflecting in Chloe's blue eyes. It was like fire dancing on water. She smiled and I blushed. As much as I wanted to talk to Chloe she didn't seem like she really wanted to talk.

"I'm gonna take Emily inside." the ginger said scooping up the tall brunette. She brought Emily into the house and Aubrey and I were left. You fucked it up Beca. You led her on and now she hates you. You worthless bitch.

"Beca? You okay?" Aubrey asked

"Fine," I responded my eyes not leaving the embers.

"What's wrong?" She could see right through me.

"I fucked things up right?"

"What?"

"With Chloe. I fucked it up."

"I highly doubt it. But if you want I can go talk to her?" I nodded and we put out the fire and went inside.

CHLOE

Once all of the Bellas had found a reasonable place to sleep, Aubrey and I went back outside. "Spill," she said.

"Spill what?"

"Why are you mad at Beca?"

"I'm not mad at her."

"She certainly seems to think you are." Beca thought I was mad at her? I wasn't mad. I just don't understand she says that she loves me and wants to be with me. But then she shows how much she loves Jesse. I don't get it.

"I'm just confused.

"By what?"

"Beca. She says she wants to be with me but it's obvious that she loves Jesse."

"Chloe, Beca loves you. She always has. She just has to figure all of this stuff out. It's not like she can just leave Jesse. She's followed by the media now. She's being careful."

"I know. I just wish that she was with me. I know that sounds selfish but..."

"I know," she said pulling me in for a hug. I had so much on my mind. After a while, Aubrey and I went back inside. It was complete darkness other than the light coming from Beca's computer. Aubrey squeezed my hand and whispered, "Talk to her."

I nodded and stepped over the Bellas who were asleep on the floor. Beca had her headphones on. Her eyes locked on the screen. Her eyebrows scrunched together. She looked like an angel. I watched her eyes flick around the screen watching the different lines. Just talk to her. It's just Beca. Yeah, Beca. The girl you've been in love with for years.

"Hey."