17. Birthdays

BECA

I woke up in a panic. I rarely sleep. And when I do there's always a nightmare. I got up out of the bed and made some coffee. I stared out the window. I felt arms wrap around my waist I smiled. "Morning," I said

"What are you doing up?" Jesse asked.

"Nightmare."

He kissed my temple. "I'm sorry."

As much as I loved Chloe, I also loved Jesse. He was a great guy before all of the drinking. After the mental hospital, he quit drinking. He sees a therapist as I do, he doesn't drag me to parties. He's getting his life back together. You love him. But you love Chloe. But you have Jesse here now. But I love them both.

"You're doing the thing again," he said kissing the top of my head.

"What thing?"

"The thing where you get swallowed by your thoughts."

"Sorry."

"Don't apologize for it. I know you have a lot going on in your head." He grabbed my hand and led me over to the couch. "Now. You sit there and I'll make breakfast."

"Jesse..."

"Nope. It's your birthday Bec. Let me spoil you today."

"Uuuuuuggggghhh. You know I hate my birthday."

"I know babe. But I think you'll like the surprises I have planned for today."

"I hate you."

"No, you don't." He handed me a cup of coffee and kissed my head before returning to the kitchen

CHLOE

When Jesse called asking me to get the Bellas together and bring them to L.A. I was both shocked and hysterical. Even after Beca had left to go back to Los Angeles, most of the Bellas were still hanging out in New York. We rented a bus and took the trip to L.A. We arrived two days before Beca's birthday. While Beca was at the studio Jesse met up with us to explain the plan. Basically, he was going to give us (Aubrey) a key to their apartment. He would take Beca out for the day. He would text us when they were headed back for us to go and be there when they arrived. Then we would all go out to dinner and then see what else Beca wanted to do. It was actually an amazing plan. I didn't know how this evening would pan out but I hoped, for Beca's sake, that it went well.

"Alright girls. Let's give Beca the best aca-birthday ever!" Aubrey said once she got the text from Jesse. We went to the apartment and hung out there for a while. It was small but not cramped. There was only one bedroom but a large living space and a nice kitchen. Beca's mixing equipment even had its own little area by a window overlooking the beach. After about 10 minutes of waiting, we heard Beca and Jesse in the hall.

"Why do I have to close my eyes?" Beca said.

"Please." Jesse pleaded

"Jesse..." I smiled. It was just like last week when I did the same thing to her.

"I promise you'll like this."

"Fine." After a second or two Jesse opened the door and led Beca in. Her eyes were closed but I could tell she wasn't excited.

"Okay. Open your eyes." Jesse told her. She opened her eyes and looked around the room. I saw her eyes go from pissed to confusion to joy.

BECA

"What the- oh my- what are you all- Hi!" I laughed making the Bellas laugh too. Even though it had only been a week since we all saw each other it felt like ages. I ran around giving everyone hugs. I held onto Chloe a little longer than everyone else though. Jesse either didn't notice or didn't care.

"You guys ready to go to dinner?" Jesse asked once I was done hugging everyone. Everyone nodded. I took Jesse's hand. My life was about to get a whole lot more complicated. I looked over at Chloe. We shared a longing gaze. Jesse smiled. God, he was clueless. He squeezed my hand before he said: "Go hold your friend's hand I don't care."

"You sure? I don't want to abandon you."

"Bec. It's your birthday. I don't care." He kissed my forehead before sending me over to Chloe.

"Happy Birthday," she said taking my hand. I smiled and wrapped my other hand around her arm. We walked down the street to a small diner. Nothing too fancy but it was L.A. so it was more upscale. It was one of my favorite places here. It reminded me of home. We got seated and placed our orders. We talked. We laughed. It was a birthday that didn't suck.

"Now what would you like to do Beca?" Jesse asked me. "Watch a movie?" he teased. I stuck my tongue out at him.

"I have an idea..." I said mischievously.

"Uh oh," Jesse said. "I know that look."

All the Bellas looked at me concerned. I smiled. "Trust me. It'll be fun."

"Well. Whatever it is I'm in." Chloe said giving me a look. The rest of the Bellas reluctantly nodded in agreement. This was going to be fun.