6. Let Me In

BECA

Jesse had it in for me when I got back. Everything hurt. I don't think I've ever hurt so much. Jesse was asleep in the bedroom and I was at our kitchen table on my laptop working. My phone started ringing. It was Chloe. Shit. I looked toward the bedroom. Jesse wouldn't be up for a while... she was probably just calling to make sure I got home okay right? I grabbed my phone and went outside onto the fire escape.

"Hey," I said.

"Hey, you okay?" Chloe asked. Her voice was calm and gentle. It made me feel safe.

"Yeah I'm fine," I didn't know what to say. I really wanted to tell her everything. But I couldn't.

"You don't have to pretend Beca. How bad was it when you got home?"

I sighed. "Real bad."

"Why don't you just leave him?"

"Because without him, I'm nothing. With him I'm nothing. I'd rather be nothing and with someone than nothing and alone." I ran my hand through my hair. I looked around to make sure no one was watching before pulling out the pack of cigarettes from my back pocket. I lit one and took a long draw of it.

"What are you doing?" Chloe asked.

"Just taking in the L.A. air."

"Okay...?" I knew she didn't believe me. Why should she? I blocked her from my life. I refused to let her in. Everyone who I let in either gets hurt or ends up hurting me. I can't let her get hurt. I was so lost in thought I didn't hear Jesse come up behind me. He took my phone.

"She's going to have to call you back." He said before ending the call.

CHLOE

"Beca? Beca? Ugh!!" I threw my phone onto Aubrey's bed. She was there for the whole conversation.

"What do you think is going to happen now?" Emily squeaked. All of the Bellas had gathered into Aubrey's room when they learned about Beca.

"I don't know," I said quietly.

"If he hurts her I swear I'll kill him." Fat Amy said.

"I don't think murder is a good idea," Aubrey responded.

Beca's words kept replaying in my head 'Without him, I'm nothing. With him I'm nothing'. Did she really feel like nothing? She's so amazing yet she can see it. I want to help. I really do. But her walls are built so high and I can't find a way in.

"Why don't we rescue her?" Aubrey said looking at me.

"How?"

"Get her away from Jesse. If he wants a fight he can fight but if we all work together then there's no way he can win." The Bellas looked around at each other. I bit my lip.

"I'm in. Beca doesn't deserve what's happening to her." Cynthia Rose said sparking everyone else to agree.

"Well then, what are we waiting for? Let's go." Aubrey said.

"We don't even know where she lives," I responded. I wanted to help Beca but was this the best way?

"Your right. But I'm sure some paparazzi would know." Aubrey smirked at me.

"No. No. No. Bad idea Aubrey."

"What's the worst that could happen?"

"Fine. Let's go."

BECA

After another beating, I locked myself in the bathroom. My hands were shaking. I sat curled up in the bathtub hugging my knees. I had been in there for a few hours. I could hear something going on outside the bathroom But I was too afraid to look to see what was happening. After a while, there was a gentle knock on the bathroom door.
    "Beca?" It sounded like Chloe. But that's not possible. Either I passed out and this is a dream or I'm dead. I opened my mouth to speak but I couldn't get any words to come out. The sound I produced sounded like a dying cat. "Beca. Open the door." She was very calm and her voice was soothing.

"C-c-can't" I finally managed to choke out.

"Why not?"

I tried to keep talking but it wasn't working. I ended up just making a small noise. It was pathetic of me. I felt like a child.

"Beca, I'm going to come in okay?" I heard rustling. My guess is she used a hairpin or found the key hidden in my laptop bag. After a second she opened the door. Her bright blue eyes locking onto me. "Oh my god." She said climbing into the tub with me and holding me close. There were bruises already forming and a large cut on my forehead. Along with some other various scratches and things. I melted into her embrace. Don't let her in. Don't let in the person you love. Don't let them get hurt.

"Y-you'll get blood on you," I mumbled.

"I don't care."

"I do."

"Let me into your head. Let me into your life. I want to help." I only nodded in response.